Deer Antler Question

nbrard

Forums Enthusiast
I was given a small set of deer antlers, but apparently they were outside for quite a while because they were covered in a thin layer of algae. I soaked them in hot water for a while and scrubbed the algae off but they are still stained a bit green. I will try sanding them a bit when they are dry but I am wondering if they will still be OK to let the dogs chew on. Does anyone have any advice on this?
 
That is odd because generally small critters eat them, which is why you rarely find them laying on the ground. I would wonder where they were that they got green. I have a set that is 20 years old and came out of a friends barn, and they aren't green.
 
That is odd because generally small critters eat them, which is why you rarely find them laying on the ground. I would wonder where they were that they got green. I have a set that is 20 years old and came out of a friends barn, and they aren't green.

They came from my Uncles place and had been sitting outside the barn where they were exposed to the elements. I wish he had tossed them in the barn!
 
I would be hesitant.....that being said, by dogs drink stagnant water at the cottage with no ill effects.

I think it would depend on how sensitive your dog is. I think at a minimum, I would sterlize the bone by boiling it.

My tuppence worth. And congrats on getting it for free. I sell antlers at my store and they ain't cheap...
 
Back
Top