Deer Poo???

sable

Forums Enthusiast
Its been really disgusting around here lately. My two shelties don't eat deer poo, and they aren't sick. I was wondering if the shelties walk on the poop, can they catch anything through their paws.

I walked outside and on my driveway, I had three hunks of deep poo. For the last two nights, and last week also, I have had to really work hard picking up deer poo in the backyard. Honestly it looked like I had a small herd back there, deer poo everywhere.

I check the yard all the time, where I had a racoon pooping in the yard, they carry diseases. Checking for mushrooms, and of course the deer poo. We are gathering so many deer, and its something because there are houses all around me. They are grazing through the neighborhood. They love my friend's apple tree.
 
My dogs walk on deer poo daily and are fine, alive, and well :wink2:

I am assuming they could pick up parasites, but if they are on a monthly heartworm preventative, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
 
Yep they are on heartworm. I have never seen this much deer poo in my yard, that honestly it started to concern me, after reading some of the posts with different things going on.

In the last three years the deer have been coming around. In all the years we lived here I have had some critters visit, but nothing like this, and never deer. This year has been really something with them.

The deer is like a full time job lately. THANKS!
 
Yep they are on heartworm. I have never seen this much deer poo in my yard, that honestly it started to concern me, after reading some of the posts with different things going on.

In the last three years the deer have been coming around. In all the years we lived here I have had some critters visit, but nothing like this, and never deer. This year has been really something with them.

The deer is like a full time job lately. THANKS!

My goats have picked up coccidia before from the deer (I assume) but it is my understanding that coccidia usually doesn't bother dogs unless they are young or immune compromised.
 
I always think of our hunting dogs we had, and the shots the vets gave them to protect them in the fields from disease. Then I think about the shelties, and this is like living in the fields lately. LOL.

I know diseases can be picked up through their paws. I just thank my lucky stars they don't like eating the stuff, because some dogs do.

THANKS!
 
Boy, you should see all the wildlife poop my two consume, as yet my vet has seen nothing more than upset stomachs from it. But if you are worried you can try giving their paws a wipe down with antibacterial baby wipes when you get home. I do this with Tully when we go to the oval because she is allergic to the grass.
 
Back
Top