Distracted

We're in the North East. Most of the trials the we will eventually compete in are CPE in NH, MA, VT, and possibly CT and possibly PA.
When I first found out about TDAA I though 'cool, we should enter' Then I saw just how compact the courses are. Way too tight for a dog that LOVES to run!

Well, I show in Ma. and have 2 shows in Conn one end of Feb, and end of March.I sometimes do NH.I do mostly AKC and some USDAA and ocassionally NADAC.Teacup is a joke .
 
Well, I show in Ma. and have 2 shows in Conn one end of Feb, and end of March.I sometimes do NH.I do mostly AKC and some USDAA and ocassionally NADAC.Teacup is a joke .

Yes it is, especially for Shelties! Looking back, I can't believe I was goin to register for it!:eek2:
 
I do mostly AKC and some USDAA and ocassionally NADAC.Teacup is a joke .

I have never competed in TDAA but I just want to point out that each venue or sport that encourages others to do something and build that bond with their dog has value. Whether others agreed or not.

We each have our own goals and abilities both with ourselves and our dogs. Just because your goals and abilites are different then other persons doesn't mean something is a joke. Some competitors don't want to be world team members but just have fun with their dogs. Some dogs have a running style that would be ok for teacup or UKC. Some dogs don't. Please don't make light of something which others have worked hard at or feel proud of. Don't discourage others from getting involved with their dogs.

We all have to start somewhere whether it is rally before obedience, UKC conformation before AKC conformation, or teacup agility(if that suits them) before AKC or USDAA.
 
It is "Just My Opinon" and not everyone has to agree. I am knocking not anyone or anything.We are all entitled to our opinons and for me subjected closed and I will not comment again.
 
I have to second (or third, or whatever we're on) what Ashley said about making it fun. And yes, don't do the finger thing. My dog is food motivated big time and used to stare at ONLY my hands, because that's where the food came from. He's a total velcro dog and trust me, you don't want that. Now that he's more experienced, he watches me, not my hands.

Also, if you've never been to a run-through, trial, anything like that before, that could be it too. My first run-thru (what we can fun runs), my dog ran off the course and well, went another 100' away. So embarrassing. Another run, he went to go beg for food from someone on the side.

My first trial, he couldnt' run out (gated) but he did go visit the judge and the workers every run.
My second trial, he ran out the entry gate....after running around wild for awhile.
My third trial, he was crazy, but he actually was paying attention to me.
My fourth trial, he was actually focusing...ON ME!!!

So, give your dog some time to acclimate to the type of surroundings. For awhile, every new place will have new scents, people, noises, etc. Once your dog is more acclimated to just "going to a trial" anywhere....then she'll start to truly focus on you.

BTW, I had to do a LOT of whooping and happy hollering to keep it fun for him since he's sooo food motivated. Obviously, me yelling happy things, wasn't any replacement for food, but it somewhat worked.

My whole point is.....going out for the first time is never easy. Many of us have had dogs run off or ignore us. It goes with the territory of being new. But once you and your dog get used to going to trials (or just run thru's), she'll get used to it and then she'll start to focus on you again. So, give it time.

Good luck!
 
because I made similar mistake with Che I would heartily suggest you train Nellie recall to heel- go back to foundation and train for it. I am finding it to be one of the most important skills to have- every time at any point you dog has to be recallable to your side. Until you learn it you are not a team. Che debuted in UKC at 12 months old but we were competing on "own ground" at our training facility and familiar equipment.
If you learn well from books I would suggest Developing handling skills for awesome agility teams by Linda Mecklenburg.
 
Back
Top