Dog Food Prices

Honestly, none of you can complain till you come to canada. The biggest bag of wellness core dog food at my local pet value is 75$. My Orijen is 78$. Hope that makes you guys feel better :no:

Well, since our dollars are almost the same, I don't know if that's any more expensive. For the 15lb bag here, I pay $35 or so. I have no place to store the biggest bag, so no clue on price. It could be the same as yours, now I"m curious. ;)

What I don't get is....Orijen is made in Canada and is a Canadian brand. Shouldn't it be cheaper there since we'd have to import it?

*******************

In response to the OP, yes, I see a huge variety of prices depending on where you buy. i.e. I just bought a "trial" pack of Acana because I kept forgetting to buy dog food. It cost me $5.99. When I went to my regular store to get the food, their trial packs were $2.99. The 5lb bag at the smaller boutiquey shop was $17. At my store, $11. Since Petsmart/Co doesn't sell the food I buy, I cant' compare.

Crazy isn't it? And I'm sure Petsmart/Co charge the most since their stores I bet are more about convenience than saving you a buck.

The best prices I've seen are from big pet stores (that aren't chains) that sell a ton of food. Where I shop, they have at least 4 rows (two sides) of food (cat and dog).
 
Everything is more expensive in Canada, regardless of what it is or where it comes from. My family is from Canada, and when my mother lived in Windsor they would all drive to Detroit to buy their shoes. Sorry, off topic!!
 
Of late I have never seen so many different prices on my dog food.

I posted at a little pet store I bought a big bag of Wellness for $44.00 (on sale)

Petsmart sells my Wellness for $54.00

Today I went to another store and it was not on sale for $48.00

I asked someone about this and they just stated the stores can put a price on the food whatever they feel like putting on. I think Petsmart and I might have a little chat. Petsmart is a chain across the country in the US. They can buy the product in volume. These other two stores for $44 and $48, don't buy the volume like Petsmart.

This coupon stuff, I am sick of, just knock the price down. Ok if you don't have your coupon then the store makes a profit.

Anyone else seeing prices like these? Some low, some high?

I dont know if yours does it but my petco will match prices with any store around. All I do is take a pic of the price with my cell phone and show it to them and they honor it. I do it all the time, especially since petco has the frequent buyer program when you buy 10 bags your next one is free...Comes in handy here where im burning though 40lb bag every month!!:eek2:
Try checking with petsmart and see if they do it...also contact the mfg and see if they will send you coupons! I do it all the time, hey $5-10 off a bag is a good savings!!
 
I'm looking at trying TOTW for Chase. They are sending me some free samples to try and if he likes it that's most likely what he will get. When looking around for prices I thought it was funny that in my area the best price was at Tractor Supply. Never would have thought of that as the place to get dog food but heck if they keep a good price on it that's where I'll get it. I like to support small local shops but when the price on a basic like food is 2 or 3 times higher I just can't justify it.
 
I'm looking at trying TOTW for Chase. They are sending me some free samples to try and if he likes it that's most likely what he will get. When looking around for prices I thought it was funny that in my area the best price was at Tractor Supply. Never would have thought of that as the place to get dog food but heck if they keep a good price on it that's where I'll get it. I like to support small local shops but when the price on a basic like food is 2 or 3 times higher I just can't justify it.

I quite often pick up our TOTW at Tractor Supply. It is a little out of the way for me, but if I am in the area I always pick it up there because it is cheaper.
 
It is where we buy our TOTW as well.Even though a 25 minute drive,its the closest & cheapest place.I could go into Florance SC,about 45 min.from here,and it will be a good 5.00 more in price.
 
Of late I have never seen so many different prices on my dog food.

I posted at a little pet store I bought a big bag of Wellness for $44.00 (on sale)

Petsmart sells my Wellness for $54.00

Today I went to another store and it was not on sale for $48.00

I asked someone about this and they just stated the stores can put a price on the food whatever they feel like putting on. I think Petsmart and I might have a little chat. Petsmart is a chain across the country in the US. They can buy the product in volume. These other two stores for $44 and $48, don't buy the volume like Petsmart.

This coupon stuff, I am sick of, just knock the price down. Ok if you don't have your coupon then the store makes a profit.

Anyone else seeing prices like these? Some low, some high?

I used to have both a petsmart and petco fairly close to my home. Initially Petco was the only store that stocked Wellness out of the two. I bought a few bags of the food before joining the petco store card program. After joining the program I walked into the store and bought a bag of dog food, when I got it up to the counter they rang me up and things were cheaper than they should have been so I pointed it out to them. They told me that the manufacturer cupon was automatically discounted for card members and that I didn't need a coupon. Petco also offered a $5.00 store cupon for every $100 you spend there.

6 months later Petsmart started carrying wellness and I walked in simply to do a price comparison (both stores were across the street from one another). Petsmart was selling wellness for ~$3.00 less than petco and thats the price they've kept it at.

So on the national level while the prices may not be equal there are other considerations to be made.

If your talking about mom & pop pet stores and not national chains they will do their best to be competitive, but in all likelyhood their pricing on average is going to be slightly higher than a national chain like petsmart or petco.
 
I don't have a Petco near me, and that is a shame. There isn't a Costco near us either. Tractor Supply has great dog food and good prices, just not the brand we feed our shelties.

Yep I look for coupons, and good prices. It won't shock me if dog food goes up sky high, the excuse will be shipping and handling, price of gas.
 
Back
Top