My sheltie is now going on seven months and his ears are nicely tipped, not that the world would end if they pricked, but I'm really hoping they stay the way they are. At what age can I consider them to be his "forever" ears?
I think the danger zone is from when they start teething until about 1 year.
Marlowe's ears started to prick up at around 5 months when he started teething. I stopped glueing at exactly 7 months and his ears have remained tipped.
I had the same experience with Beckon. His ears stayed tipped after six months. It's a case-by-case situation. At six months, I unglue. If the ears have a tendency to prick, you may have to reglue, checking every month and working with an ear leather softner. Beckon's stayed pricked, so I didn't have to reglue.
I think after about 1 year the ears are pretty safe.
I would not settle at 7 months. If you truly want tipped ears, then keep gluing until then. If you are neutral and don't really care one way or the other, then you can stop now and hope for the best.
Personally, I wish I could have kept at it for 12 months. But that's a personal choice, and it might not have made any difference anyway...given that Bacca's ear tissue is still very thin.
LOL! I think we all missed that nuance! We all assumed you'd been gluing! You are blessed with good puppy ears.
In this case, I would follow Chris' advice. Just watch them close. Take a photo of how they look know and compare weekly to the photo, if you start noticing them flying up, then consider gluing for a few months.
Hello Guest,
Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.