ears constantly changing

beryl1435

Forums Novice
Rocky's ears the first few days that we had him were folded perfectly! Then slowly one started standing up... and sometimes almost seemed like it might partly fold over backwards! Now... I never know what ears we will see from hour to hour! One still tends to be up more than down, but sometimes they're both down, sometimes they're both up. I didn't realize that they would change so much and so often. I think we're going to get supplies to start taping them, but I just think it's so funny that they change so often. Do most Shelties have this happen?
 
I know that a lot of people tape down the dog's ear so they become evenly folded and to follow standard, but we were blessed that zoey had large enough ears that they remain perfectly folded... although she had moments like you described.

Zoey on day one, perfectly folded ears
http://picasaweb.google.com/dyalad/Zoey?authkey=Gv1sRgCPKWitDL2tD5-AE#5497052557315000786

A few weeks later, Zoey has nicely folded down ears
http://picasaweb.google.com/dyalad/Zoey?authkey=Gv1sRgCPKWitDL2tD5-AE#5497052567970845746

But here one if folded and the other isn't
http://picasaweb.google.com/dyalad/Zoey?authkey=Gv1sRgCPKWitDL2tD5-AE#5497052555676753474

A few weeks later
http://picasaweb.google.com/dyalad/Zoey?authkey=Gv1sRgCPKWitDL2tD5-AE#5497052693321317746

In the summer, still 1 down and the other up
http://picasaweb.google.com/dyalad/Zoey?authkey=Gv1sRgCPKWitDL2tD5-AE#5497052680909343746

11 months, looks like the ears are settled down for good
http://picasaweb.google.com/dyalad/Zoey?authkey=Gv1sRgCPKWitDL2tD5-AE#5534921630181672562
 
I hope that Daisy ears will tip when she is fully grown. By the looks of Daisy parents ears (straight ear) I know it will probably never happen without taping so i started taping Daisy's ears a week ago.
 
Back
Top