excessive shedding in mid-winter

DebbieGilbert

Forums Regular
My 7-year-old Sheltie, Daisy, normally barely sheds at all during the winter. The major shedding doesn't occur until late spring, when she starts to blow her undercoat.

But about a month ago, I started pulling out tons of hair when I brushed her -- both undercoat (which had just come in) and guard hairs. She's lost most of the feathering on her hindquarters and around her ears, and she's got that "scarecrow" look that usually doesn't happen until summer.

I'm trying to figure out what's going on. Our house is not overheated; I haven't even turned the furnace on since last January. The problem isn't hormonal fluctuations, since Daisy is spayed. I considered a thyroid deficiency, but Daisy doesn't have any symptoms of hypothyroidism (such as lethargy, weight gain, sensitivity to cold, etc.)

I'm wondering if Daisy's body is just adapting to the climate. This is by far the warmest winter I can ever remember, with temperatures in the 60s even in January. Do you think it could be as simple as that? Is anyone else having this problem with their Shelties?

My money is tight right now and I don't want to take Daisy to the vet unless I have strong evidence that there's something medically wrong with her.

Feedback, please!
 
It seems strange that she's losing that much fur. I think you should probably take her to your vets for blood work to make sure there's not something going on with her.

She hasn't been on prednisone or some other steroid in the past few months has she?

After her spinal stroke my Sadie was on prednisone for a couple of months, which caused her to lose a LOT of her fur in the fall/winter, mainly her undercoat. I put a coat on her for a couple of months to keep her warm when she was outside, till she got some of her undercoat back.
 
Here's an update: I just consulted with the clinical director at the University of Georgia veterinary school. He said the excessive shedding could indeed be caused by the unusually warm weather we've had this winter, and in fact he has seen a number of dogs at the clinic who have the same problem.

I'm relieved that Daisy apparently isn't ill.
 
Was just going to reply and let you know it's the weather!! Glad you got the same response. Mine here do not have their normal winter coats. It's been too warm!!! Even my plush coated ones are not that great looking!! They are sayi g it's supposed to get cold here this weekend.....not that it helps the one who is showi g this weekend!:rolleyes2:
 
My 3 year old Daisy is also shedding right now. She lost what looks like her entire undercoat. I understand this may be due to the warm winter we are having. However, she was also sick with a mild pancreatitis and also clostridium perfringes enterotoxin, aka: food poisoning bug. Poor thing went through some stress because we moved and she is no longer with her brother. Once this happened she got sick but she is on Metronidazole and seems to be doing much better. I can't help but wonder if any of this is the cause of the shedding? She did start shedding a little before the move though.
 
Given her age, I would be inclined to have her checked for hypo-thyroid. It does happen in Shelties fairly often but is very manageable.

Just a thought, if your vet did not mention it
 
It's funny, I was just lamenting today - as I was shivering at the oval in the middle of summer - that everytime we get these cold spells Deska grows back his undercoat! So it gets hot and I get the furminator out, then it drops 20C and the fluff comes back. Lets swap coats.
 
Cushing's disease causes fur loss.

(My Sheltieboy had Cushings.)

Another Cushing's symptom is excessive drinking, which causes frequent urination.

(My boy's Cushing's was well controlled by the drug Vetoryl. He died from other causes.)
 
Back
Top