Experiences with MRI

Caro

Moderator
Just wondering if anyone has done an MRI and was it worth doing - do it show you anything that helped a lot?

Della has been very unwell, something neurological it seems. The specialist wants to do an MRI but it is $5,000. That is a whole lot of money, esp as her current stay at the ER will be about $4k. This year the pet insurance did put up the top limit of Della's policy - probably to justify the massive price increase, to $10k. But with the MRI it would reach that without getting any treatment so it would need to be worthwhile to justify the cost.

I just dont know what to do, esp coming on the tail of Tully's illness and death earlier in the year.
 
I had an mri done on Cran-it was originally supposed to be his head but the neurologist changed the focus area after examining him. It did show several herniated discs but they weren't bad enough to warrant surgery so that trip to the vet hospital was about 2K including an overnight stay.
then Jocu got an mri after his first seizures- that showed nothing unusual in the brain so ended up not being worth the money since it didn't change the diagnosis or treatment.
 
That is really a tough call Caro. What do they want to scan - her brain? We had Faith done because she started having seizures, only a few months after Meadow's epilepsy started. We were so freaked out at both dogs having the same problem, wondering if it was environmental somehow. We just decided we needed an answer. They told us it was likely, at her age, brain tumor. And they were right. It was $3500 but we paid extra to have it done the same day. I just absolutely needed to know, I couldn't stand the uncertainty. She would have been on the antiseizure meds in any case, but probably not the prednisone which they do for brain swelling. We were told she probably had 6 months max, but we're into month 8 and she's not increasing her seizure frequency and the pred is making her feel good, so she's happy.
 
That is really a tough call Caro. What do they want to scan - her brain? We had Faith done because she started having seizures, only a few months after Meadow's epilepsy started. We were so freaked out at both dogs having the same problem, wondering if it was environmental somehow. We just decided we needed an answer. They told us it was likely, at her age, brain tumor. And they were right. It was $3500 but we paid extra to have it done the same day. I just absolutely needed to know, I couldn't stand the uncertainty. She would have been on the antiseizure meds in any case, but probably not the prednisone which they do for brain swelling. We were told she probably had 6 months max, but we're into month 8 and she's not increasing her seizure frequency and the pred is making her feel good, so she's happy.

It would be her brain. I've brought her home as she'd picked up a bit and recognises me and is eating on her own. But now we're home she's swaying and unsteady. She's already on Pred and being MDR1 other options are limited.
 
Back
Top