food or genetics?

Che had growth spur at 10-15 weeks when he went from 9 to 15", for the last 5 weeks he got another 1 1/2" added so I am hopeful he is platoing his curve...
I have no particular worries as we did not get him for show ring, but observation is interesting...
 
Che had growth spur at 10-15 weeks when he went from 9 to 15", for the last 5 weeks he got another 1 1/2" added so I am hopeful he is platoing his curve...
I have no particular worries as we did not get him for show ring, but observation is interesting...

Bailey had her biggest growth spurt from 10-15 weeks as well. She grew 3-3.5 inches in that period. From 16 weeks to 7 months, she grew about 2-2.5 inches.

She also had some sensitive stomach issues from 4 months to 5.5 months. She had loose stool and was eating very bland food. I hope this didn't effect her growth :(
 
I took an entire credit course in college on Nature vs. Nurture. It's always fascinated me! And Dr. Mac is correct - the answer is usually BOTH!

Born with certain predispositions, these can either be nurtured or turned off by environmental factors. Addiction is a great example.

But sorry, I digress off topic....:o


Soo if feeding does have an influence on a dogs height.. do you think the quality of food would have a great impact on your pet that you would notice? Since you may only know your pups parents to use as a guide.. i am interested in this topic.. like what would happen if you fed your dog Alpo or ol roy as opposed to TOTW or any of the "better foods". hmmmm... things to ponder . :razz:
 
I assume that no matter what quality food u feed ur dog, he will only be as tall as his already determined genes will allow him. However, poor quality or lack of food may reduce his growth due to lack.of.nutrients. but i dont feeding alpo or totw will make much of a difference in ur pups adult size. i am no.expert, but this is just what i'm assuming.
 
Last edited:
Soo if feeding does have an influence on a dogs height.. do you think the quality of food would have a great impact on your pet that you would notice? Since you may only know your pups parents to use as a guide.. i am interested in this topic.. like what would happen if you fed your dog Alpo or ol roy as opposed to TOTW or any of the "better foods". hmmmm... things to ponder . :razz:

What we are finding in health research is it takes a couple of generations of good feeding to see a discernable change. So if your grandparents had access to good food there will be an increase in height for their children, but the most noticeable increase in height is in the 2nd generation. If this works for all mammals (and it certainly works on lab animals) then if the breeder fed his/her dogs well it could show up in subsequent litters. Doubt the actual brand has a huge difference (sorry to burst that bubble), but overall the quality of pet food has gotten better as we know more about vet science.

Good nutrition also increases bone density and muscle ratio so its a good thing, even for a sheltie.
 
Soo if feeding does have an influence on a dogs height.. do you think the quality of food would have a great impact on your pet that you would notice? Since you may only know your pups parents to use as a guide.. i am interested in this topic.. like what would happen if you fed your dog Alpo or ol roy as opposed to TOTW or any of the "better foods". hmmmm... things to ponder . :razz:

Well, as diet has improved over the centuries, humans have become taller and stronger in stature. Some of that is passed on from our parents as diets improved, but much of that is what is in our foods currently. We've all heard stories of girls hitting puberty at younger and younger ages due to the amount of unknown steroids in our diets, etc.

Another thing is teeth! Some cultures/races have either remarkably poor or remarkably strong teeth. Is that nature, or environment?
 
Another thing is teeth! Some cultures/races have either remarkably poor or remarkably strong teeth. Is that nature, or environment?

I know nothing about people but in dogs, we see poor teeth condition in some breeds more than others. Shelties are one of those breeds who are prone to perdontial disease. Poodles, yorkies, schnazuers, Greyhounds also come to mind. Labs tend to have great teeth regardless of diet and care.

I do think there is a genetics compotent. Breeds with dry mouths(less drooling)and tight lips are more prone to dental disease as the food particles are trap for larger period or times against the teeth and saliva doesn't flush the teeth surfaces regalurly. But the diet, chewing behavior and dental care can influence it.

I have known a few shelties that had tartar form from the day the teeth came it and nothing you did would slow it down or change it.
 
My vet says long nosed dogs also have more trouble with teeth. Deska's teeth get more build up than Tully - I brush them, give them bones or rawhide and he drools heaps, so its frustrating. The vet says they are fine for his age - but I want them to be good! My mothers family all have bad teeth and I inherited them, so I dont want to paying for doggy dental on top of all my dental.

I've noticed the dogs at flyball all have great teeth, although very worn. Most of the flyball people says its because they always have tennis balls in their mouths.
 
Back
Top