Foster Advice

Phebe*DD

Forums Enthusiast
Since I'm not working right now, I'm thinking about volunteering to foster for a shelter or rescue group. I have the time and have been thinking about adding another dog as a companion for Phebe. This would give us the opportunity to see how things go with another dog in the house.

Any advice on questions to ask and situations to avoid will be really helpful as a I consider whether to volunteer.
 
I've never had a foster, but I think it's great that you're doing this! Also, a great idea for a thread.

I think that before you get any other puppies, you definitely should make sure they get along with your dog. My friend took in a rescue dog and it kind of traumatized her dog--nipping it, barking/growling, and just generally being territorial. It ended up with her dog cowering in his cage for hours, afraid to get out. They had to find a new home for the rescue dog--they just didn't want their dog to be that stressed out.

I'm sure Phebe will enjoy having a friend though... just bring her when you meet the dog and watch for any warning signs. Good luck!
 
We have fostered a good bit in the last 5 years. 95% have been puppies or dogs that are very young. (8 weeks and to 1 year)

One thing I have never done,is take Earnhardt to the shelter,when I was picking up a dog to bring here.

Some things I think you should consider:
Any dog brought here has had a quarintine time period.They are not allowed in any area to potty that my Earnhardt has access to until they are looked at by a vet,they are done being wormed & all nessassary medical issues that may be contagious are taken care of.

So being able to section off a part of your yard,and still being able to have adequate areas to be outside was key.

The first meeting of any dog brought here,was done slowly,and under supervision,and always with a leash.

You really have to know your dog.The first meeting can either be one of stress,or one that you just know its going to be ok. Look for the obvious signs. Tail wag,play stance,growling,ruffled hair.first & foremost,you have to think of your dogs saftey,and yours also.

We have been extremely fortunate,as Earnhardt does not have any sort of agreesion issues,any new foster was brought here on his turf. With the exception of only one female,every foster has been a puppy.

And he is especially careful with the little ones.So I knew there was never going o be a problem.

Now with the 1 year old chocolate lab,when she was brought here,I was dealing with two large dogs,and it was either going to be bad from the beginning,or it was a match made in heaven.As they could have done some serious fighting from the get go. But thankfully after her quarintine,she was accepted,and they were two peas in a pod.

And taking on either a long term foster or short term,either way it is an expense. In all of any foster we have had here,we have absorbed all of the expense. Our shelter has provided discounts for spays & neuters,but still is some out of pocket.

Keeping harmony with in your home,being able to provide what it is that is needed for co-existance for every one to be happy & healthy is definately a must. Finding that forever home,can sometimes be stressful to.After all,they do need nuturing homes,it has to be a perfect fit.

And when that happens,you know you have done all that you can to mold that new pup into being a well adjusted,loving pet.
 
Phebe,
First, this is great that you're thinking of fostering. With the economy the way it is, many shelters/rescues are seeing more and more animals, and less money & volunteers.

I currently volunteer for our county Humane Society and have fostered one puppy (and currently two itty bitty kittens). Our humane society cannot keep animals on site, overnight, so all animals are either owner surrenders or fosters -- people bring animals in on Saturdays for adoption days.

My first bit of advise: before fostering, research the organization you want to work with and then start volunteering. I would advise to volunteer for a good month before you agree to bring any new animals into your home. This way you can get a feel for the organization, how they operate, how they treat the animals, and if incoming animals are fully vetted before going into any home.

Also, unlike mbfrench, the only out-of-pocket expense I've had to pay for my fosters is any toys, colors, cat litter, or any extras I've wanted to buy. I've been provided all food, gear (crates, leashes, medication, formula, food, etc.) and vet care.

My two cents.
 
Phobe
You may want to set a certain criteria when foostering with the Humane Society or animal Cruelty Organization Age, sex, breed things like that I would also ask about the reason the dog was turned over and that will clue you in on possible medical issues. Most organizations pay for vet and food,

I think it is great you want to do this, You may also wamt to check with your local sheltie rescue I know they can always use good fosters. I have some names of folks in your area
 
You've all given me a lot to think about. I think that volunteering with a group before I offer to foster for them is a great idea. Now, I just need to decide which group. I knew I could count on my Sheltie friends for great ideas.
 
If you decide to foster, be aware that many dogs coming into rescue are going to have some issue you'll have to work with. The owners of most of my fosters lied about the reason they gave them up. Usually the real reason is the dog had health issues that they didn't want to pay for. My second foster had extensive oral problems. Even though my director didn't have him scheduled for the vet for 3 or 4 days, he was in such bad shape I took him into the vet the next day even if I had to pay for it myself. Even with 24 hour care he died five days later. Some have been abused, some are not properly socialized. Proper care, love and patience can do wonders for many of them, but you might want to brush up on some methods of working with problem dogs.
 
Back
Top