Four paws brand causing damage?

Lysette85

Forums Enthusiast
I don't really have $ for new grooming tools right now, but I use an a1 pin brush (soft pins), and a 4 paws slicker brush from Petco. I've always had a concern about Claussen's upturned frizzy fur on his back. But the breeder said his dam used to be called Ruffles because of her upturned fur (which I do remember seeing) but I see Little Bear is starting to get frizzy back fur too. I must them down when I brush, but I get the feeling that maybe the cheap slicker (paid $15) for it is damaging the coat somehow? It is pretty abrasive. Does anyone else use this brand? And I know I need a comb..can you just use a plastic or cheap metal comb with food results or should you get a CC dog comb or good brand like that?
 
The slicker should only be used on legs and behind the ears, use a pin brush for the body. The using of the slicker on the body may be adding to your frizzy dilemma..you can get a good pin brush from Maddan, on ebay for about $15. As far as a comb I use a cheapy greyhound comb that gets the job done. I actually got it for free from eukunaba lol..best comb ever!
 
i always used to slicker the whole body (brush along the grain of the fur on the body) before using the pin brush on the body (with the pin brush, do a line-brushing). the only place you slicker against the grain of the hair is on the feet (and that's mainly to pull up the fur between the toes so that you can trim it down).

this is what i was taught about 15 years ago. it's been working fine for my current sheltie. i know there are people on here who are more up on modern grooming protocol (Assuming anything has changed?) who may chime in.

the only thing i would say about a cheap slicker is that sometimes the "bristles" are longer, and i don't like that, since the longer bristles seem to jab and scratch more than the shorter ones.
 
Crap, I've been using the slicker for my line brushing because it grabs Thr undercoat better than the pinbrush. I brush the fur to the side with the pin brush, and then grab the undercoat with the slicker. It works great for the undercoat but I think it is causing frizziness. The bristles aren't long, but they are at a slight "L" shape..just not a full 90 degree angle. My pin brush is okay i think...I think many others on here have the same one. It's an All Systems brush so it's not snagging fur or anything. I have noticed its not detsngking very well...when I scratch into their thicker fur on their manes for example, I feel mats so I just had to use MY comb to get all that freed up. Should you own a stiff pin brush also for this reason? Or can you use a comb there? *sigh* really wish I had the extra $ for that sheltie grooming book right now!
 
You actually want a longer pin to be able to get under the undercoat and brush though it. If you using a typical petstore brush its usually a 20mm..you need a 27mm to effectively get down to the undercoat. The longer pins also help lift the ruff as well. If you want a real through brushing to remove the undercoat use a greyhound comb..it will take you days to do it properly but it will get all the loose coat out, thats what I have to do on some of mine who hold their undercoat in their coat.
 
You actually want a longer pin to be able to get under the undercoat and brush though it. If you using a typical petstore brush its usually a 20mm..you need a 27mm to effectively get down to the undercoat. The longer pins also help lift the ruff as well. If you want a real through brushing to remove the undercoat use a greyhound comb..it will take you days to do it properly but it will get all the loose coat out, thats what I have to do on some of mine who hold their undercoat in their coat.

I have this pin brush http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-All-Systems-Wooden-Handled-PIN-BRUSH-Large-/250755278812?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a622de7dc

It works okay, but the bristles have a lot of give and don't really detangle or loosen up fur that's matted down on the back..and I brush mine 45 minutes each day. Just thought maybe it would be better to get a stiffer bristled brush...I'm sure AS makes some of those too. I will definitely be looking into a greyhound comb though!
 
One thing that wasn't mentioned.....never brush your Sheltie's coat dry!

Always spritz it with water or a leave-in conditioner or dry shampoo before you brush.

Otherwise, you will could break the guard hairs and that could account for the frizzies.

And regardless of which brush you use, always line brush if you are working on the undercoat.

If you want instructions on how to line brush, let us know.....
 
One thing that wasn't mentioned.....never brush your Sheltie's coat dry!

Always spritz it with water or a leave-in conditioner or dry shampoo before you brush.

Otherwise, you will could break the guard hairs and that could account for the frizzies.

And regardless of which brush you use, always line brush if you are working on the undercoat.

If you want instructions on how to line brush, let us know.....

Thanks Barb, yes I do use my squirt bottle when brushing them, and I use a little conditioner in the bottle. Maybe I'm brushing them too much?
 
Back
Top