Garlic: To Eat or Not To Eat?

OntarioSheltie

Forums Celebrity
I've stayed clear of giving Sadie garlic because I read that it can be toxic to dogs. I also know how healthy garlic is and have read that it can be very beneficial to dogs too.

So which is it? Is it good or bad? Anyone have any thoughts?
 
Garlic

There are so many schools of thought on this that it's very confusing! I remember one of the nation's top canine nutritionists years ago in his monthly newsletter recommended feeding dogs red grapes which I did for a time as treats--they loved them. Now they tell us grapes are toxic. :confused2:

I think the prevailing feeling about garlic is that like many things, it's safe in moderation. It's supposed to be very effective for repelling fleas and ticks, and many places sell garlic pills or powder for pets--I give it to my horses, and I used to feed the tablets to the dogs with no ill effects. I wouldn't give them a whole garlic clove ever, and it can give some dogs the runs as well. In fact I probably wouldn't even give them raw garlic, but maybe one of the prepared supplements made for dogs.

Like many things, I think you have to discuss with your vet, and do what works best for your individual pooch and his digestion. :wink2:
 
I also have read that it's beneficial as a flea and tick repellent. If any thing I would give them the supplement made for dogs or give them something cooked with garlic in it. It's one of those catch 22 cases, damned if you do and damned if you don't. :eek2: I have always given my dogs chicken cooked in garlic or Pasta with butter and garlic. They love it. :uhoh: I have seen no ill effects, so I guess as ann says anything in moderation.:biggrin2:
 
Oh joy -- as if regular dog breath in the morning isn't bad enough, you guys want me to feed Layla garlic! :dead: Layla wants to know how well it goes with chinchilla poops. :lol:
 
Last edited:
Oh joy -- as if regular dog breath in the morning isn't bad enough, you guys want my to feed Layla garlic! :dead: Layla wants to know how well it goes with chinchilla poops. :lol:

lol Chris, you're way too funny!

I thought I'd bring up this topic because I've noticed its an ingrediant in many homemade dog biscuits and some homemade dog food.

I wondered if its ok is small amounts be at the same time I don't want to cause her liver damage
 
LOL Chris....you should be in my barn after the horses have their breakfast in the morning with their BugLyte supplement! It has a garlic base and oh my, the smell alone would keep any bugs out of the barn! Talk about garlic breath :lol:

The garlic in biscuits and dog food is just fine...it's actually good for them. You don't need to worry about that a bit, OntarioSheltie. Garlic is supposed to be nature's antibiotic and if we're lucky, it will keep the ticks and mosquitoes away a bit.
 
Back
Top