GOOD OL DOG

Not bad…more of an older style of music (to my ears anyways lol, I’m not much into country music)

I would call this more folk music or earthy blues?? I grew up in farm country out west and when I was young my farmer friends had dogs,they stayed outside all year long. They were scruffy and loyal and great dogs. This song reminded me of many of the farm dogs that I knew and for me it was an homage to dogs of those times. Today our dogs live with us- which is waaay better-- but in those days and times many dogs worked and at night they were watch dogs, scruffy and matted fur they were great companions. My friend's dog got bit by rattlesnakes- actually several times in his life, never went to a vet just put him in the barn on blankets and he lived or died - cattle went to the vet but not dogs- it is not the way it is today. In town people used to let their dogs out to do their business and sometimes the got in fights, packed up with other dogs out for the night and caused all sorts of problems. Farmers used to all carry rifles slung on racks in their pickup back window and they could shoot any stray dog they saw on farm land to protect livestock-- tough times for sure--times have changed thank goodness but those ol farm dogs were "good old dogs' with a heart as big as the world and were loved by their families as much as we love ours now- they just had a job to do..
 
I remember as a kid (teenager) my mom was dating this guy I didn’t care for and sometimes I’d be expected to go to his house for dinner. Walking there I’d pass the repair shop that had a locked compound in the back with a large dog…probably a golden lab cross. Always barking and sounded aggressive. I’d go up to the fence and talk to him and stick my fingers through, I’m sure I was the only one that showed this dog compassion. Over several weeks I got braver and eventually I climbed the fence and went into the back area and would pat this dog and talk to him. One day out of the blue I go home from school and lo and behold this dog is outside my house! Followed my scent? I don’t know…always baffled me and while it broke my young heart I took the dog back to the store as I knew my mom wouldn’t let me keep him. I thought of this dog often through the years since as I always felt bad for the lack of companionship he had (we really were two lost souls at that time). I can totally understand what this song means to you.
 
I remember as a kid (teenager) my mom was dating this guy I didn’t care for and sometimes I’d be expected to go to his house for dinner. Walking there I’d pass the repair shop that had a locked compound in the back with a large dog…probably a golden lab cross. Always barking and sounded aggressive. I’d go up to the fence and talk to him and stick my fingers through, I’m sure I was the only one that showed this dog compassion. Over several weeks I got braver and eventually I climbed the fence and went into the back area and would pat this dog and talk to him. One day out of the blue I go home from school and lo and behold this dog is outside my house! Followed my scent? I don’t know…always baffled me and while it broke my young heart I took the dog back to the store as I knew my mom wouldn’t let me keep him. I thought of this dog often through the years since as I always felt bad for the lack of companionship he had (we really were two lost souls at that time). I can totally understand what this song means to you.

Sad story and I can imagine how hard it was to take that dog back and how that must still be haunting since we are so close to our fur bud and know they want to be with us. That kind of dog/animal abuse is not that uncommon today unfortunately. There are some cold hearted people in this world and I cringe when I think of them ever having an animal companion. There are a million times more bad people than bad animals.
 
Back
Top