GrillerZ Natural Beef Femur Bone from Tractor Supply?

mikebdub

Forums Enthusiast
I was picking up a bag of TOTW for Cali earlier when I took a stroll down the treat aisle and came across these "natural" beef femur bones made by "GrillerZ". They look pretty straight forward and are not "soaked" in any type of juices or anything so I picked one up for $3.00. I gave it to Cali and she went right to town on it! She seems to really like it, but I ended up taking it from her after about 15 minutes because I don't want her to think its going to be laying around whenever she wants to have at it. Does anybody else give these chews? They are extremely hard (as a bone should be I guess :P LOL) but it sounds horrible on her teeth as she is chewing! I guess it is more me being paranoid about something hurting her and just not being used to her chewing on something like that. She loves the pig ears and snouts from Merricks and will chew those for hours on end but they are a soft (but sturdy) spongy texture. Just wondering if anybody else has any experience with these bones from "GrillerZ"? Thanks all!

I don't think posting links to external websites is allowed here, so they can be found at the tractor supply store under Home / Pet Care / Dog Products / Rawhide, Bones & Dog Chews / Dog Bones if anybody is interested!
 
We have bought them on several occasions.And we do as you have done,and take it away after a bit.

Earnhardt keeps his,and enjoys the whole thing.It does not last him but only 1/2 hour of chewing.

I think a pretty good value,considering how long it lasts for him.I know what you mean by the grinding on chewing.Its not so bothersome with Trapp & Jasper,as they go at it really slow,but Earnie is an agressive chewer.
 
They are extremely hard (as a bone should be I guess :P LOL) but it sounds horrible on her teeth as she is chewing! I guess it is more me being paranoid about something hurting her and just not being used to her chewing on something like that.

You aren't being paranoid at all. The raw feeding community calls those "wreck" bones, because they wreck the dogs teeth. We don't feed any weight bearing bones from large animals (cattle, elk, deer, etc.)

If you want to feed her something to keep her busy, you can try beef trachea. Those will also clean her teeth pretty well. My dogs LOVE them.
 
Humm...that is interesting.For the amount of years that Earnhardt has consumed these,his teeth are quite nice,clean,healthy.

Maybe because of the way he is chewing them,who knows. He does not get them on a regular basis,as I do'nt buy stuff like this often for any of the dogs.

Interesting~:yes:
 
You aren't being paranoid at all. The raw feeding community calls those "wreck" bones, because they wreck the dogs teeth. We don't feed any weight bearing bones from large animals (cattle, elk, deer, etc.)

If you want to feed her something to keep her busy, you can try beef trachea. Those will also clean her teeth pretty well. My dogs LOVE them.

That is the reason I dont feed that type of bones to my dogs, well that and the fact that those type of bones are usually smoked, and I read somewhere that, that changes the composition of the bone which makes them splinter like a cooked bone. I get mine lamb bones from a pet store that are raw. They seem to like them alot. They also love turkey legs, which now is a good time to get turkeys since stores have specials on them for thanksgiving, I just got a 21 pound turkey for $10 :biggrin2:
 
They also love turkey legs, which now is a good time to get turkeys since stores have specials on them for thanksgiving, I just got a 21 pound turkey for $10 :biggrin2:

It would be great if the turkeys around here were not full of "turkey flavored broth" that significantly increases the salt content of the meat, (and increasing the weight of the bird so they get more money). The broth makes my dogs ill. I can't find un-brothed turkeys, and I'm not willing to pay big money for dog meat.
 
Mike you may want to check with your vet on the pigs ears my vet does not like them at all especially for a Shelties who are prone to a sensitive stomach. They are also awful greasy/full of fat. Not criticizing your choices just wanted to give you a heads up.:wink2:
 
is it a raw turkey sold in a broth? I am not sure have seen one, but we don't eat meat so I might have missed it.

No, it's whole turkey (or chicken) and the packaging says "up to 10% broth added". This increases the total weight of the bird, but also increases the salt fairly significantly. It makes a lot of dogs sick. They sometimes also call it "enhanced", like filling chicken full of chicken flavored broth makes it taste more like chicken?
 
Back
Top