BarbV
Forums Celebrity
I agree the books on Sheltie grooming can be pretty overwhelming. But grooming Shelties is really not so bad if you break it up into bits.
I don't try to groom everything in one sitting. One week it will be the pants, the next week the feet and the next the ears and ruff. And sometimes not every week.....I find that my dogs can go 2-3 weeks without ANY grooming at all.
So I still recommend Barb Ross's book, but just take it in steps. You don't have to do it all in one grooming and some steps you will never do at all.
But if you can accomplish basic line brushing, ear triming, nail clipping, feet trimming and the famous poop chute, you are well on your way.
Minimum requirements: pin brush, slicker, rake, straight edge scissors, thinning shears, nail clippers or grinder.
I don't try to groom everything in one sitting. One week it will be the pants, the next week the feet and the next the ears and ruff. And sometimes not every week.....I find that my dogs can go 2-3 weeks without ANY grooming at all.
So I still recommend Barb Ross's book, but just take it in steps. You don't have to do it all in one grooming and some steps you will never do at all.
But if you can accomplish basic line brushing, ear triming, nail clipping, feet trimming and the famous poop chute, you are well on your way.
Minimum requirements: pin brush, slicker, rake, straight edge scissors, thinning shears, nail clippers or grinder.