He hit his contact!!!

Awesome job, Koji! So awesome that he got his DW contact, I'm jealous :wink2:

He really is looking good. Once you nail your timing on your crosses, you're going to be unstoppable!

His weaves really looked great!
 
We'll see if it's a fluke at our next trial (in about 4 weeks, lol) or in class. But I was so happy and excited, I almost faltered again and stopped. LOL.

I'm impressed with myself. Today, I had less energy and was more "foggy" due to my cold. Time to rest and get to bed.

I can work on my crosses another day (well, training starts up again in 3 weeks), until then, I'll work contacts at home.
 
I can work on my crosses another day (well, training starts up again in 3 weeks), until then, I'll work contacts at home.

How do you train contacts at home? I mean, what equipment do you use?

I need a new contact training plan.

And hope you feel better!
 
Congrats on the NA and the Open Qs, Cheryl! You and Koji looked GREAT out there.

I'm rapidly approaching the end of trial season for me. My last trial of the year is in mid-November. I'm still back and forth on whether to go to Nationals or not. If I do go to Nationals, I'd like to be in position to earn one of his Open titles while there. I plan on running anything they offer including FAST.
 
what fun videos to watch!!!
Thank you so much for sharing. He is a great jumper, I bet you get single stride jumps from him, he is darn confident int he jumps, and awesome weaves he was really going at it, great job Koji!

Bubbles is also cute, your friend must be so proud.. you can tell she must have worked to have added a lot of value to his jumps! Good for her!!
 
How do you train contacts at home? I mean, what equipment do you use?

I need a new contact training plan.

And hope you feel better!

All I'm using is a plank right now. At first I was running and having him stop as I said "wait". But then my trainer said when she'd do that, he'd stop anywhere on the dog walk. Not good. So I started training like 2o2o with a target plate. First I started with a touch, then I realized I didn't want him to associate DW with touch, so I stopped that. So I started putting him in a stay, putting dog food on the target, then releasing him. As his head was down before he'd eat the food, I'd click. I did this over and over again. Clicking at the right moment, head down, but not eating yet.

After doing that for a day or two, I did it w/o the target. First, with food on the ground. Then without and clicking for when he'd hit the bottom, 4-on, head towards the ground. I'd click, he'd look up for food, I'd put it on the ground. He'd eat, then I'd release him.

For some strange reason, this worked a lot better. Probably because he has something to target. If you recall, his contact still weren't any good after weeks of doing the "wait" the original way. After doing it the second way, my gawd, we only worked on it about 4 times in this past week.

Not sure how this will help you. I mean, since you're doing running contacts. I know in training, my trainer suggested using a yellow cloth (cut into the shape of the contact zone), and having Koji "hit it" as he's running by. It's more of a slight pounce, than pure running over it. Kinda like when you do it on the A-frame, and they use a box for them to "hit it" in. It helped, until Koji picked up speed and confidence. Hence our 4-on, which is working great for the teeter too.

I hope that at least helped. Oh, the plank I have, is about 4 feet long. I typically put 2 shoe boxes under it to prop it up (for angle). Since I don't have a yard nor a lot of space, it works well. Next up, will be me angling off to the side, running past him, etc. For now, me stopping seems to help him, but I want to get away from that asap.
 
Congrats on the NA and the Open Qs, Cheryl! You and Koji looked GREAT out there.

I'm rapidly approaching the end of trial season for me. My last trial of the year is in mid-November. I'm still back and forth on whether to go to Nationals or not. If I do go to Nationals, I'd like to be in position to earn one of his Open titles while there. I plan on running anything they offer including FAST.

Thank you. It was such a big difference from the weekend prior. Not sure what that was.....probably a reality check, lol. But this weekend made me feel good about us. I have some handling issues, which I need to work on, but overall, he showed his true self out there. Yay.

Keep us posted on Nationals. Seems like it could be a lot of fun...or a lot of stress. I'm trying to plan out the rest of this year. For me, I like to trial now (as long as it doesn't rain), since it's cooler. I'm also planning on doing more AKC so I don't have to drive so far (30 min versus 1.5 hours w/hotel).

When will you start up trialling again? FYI, I think FAST is easy compared to CPE and NADAC's Gamblers types of games.
 
what fun videos to watch!!!
Thank you so much for sharing. He is a great jumper, I bet you get single stride jumps from him, he is darn confident int he jumps, and awesome weaves he was really going at it, great job Koji!

Bubbles is also cute, your friend must be so proud.. you can tell she must have worked to have added a lot of value to his jumps! Good for her!!

Oh, he loves his Jumpers. I'll probably finish out Excellent A before he gets his Excellent B in Standard. LOL. I don't think Koji is big enough to get single strides, but how cool would that be? And his weaves, I agree, great job! Seriously, I can't believe how solid his weaves have been lately. Sometimes the entries get us, but once he's in, he seems to love it.

Oh she was very proud. She came out of the ring, arms up all happy saying she did it! Sometimes in class, Bubbles can be slow, so when she slowed down, I was like, oh no, but she picked up speed again. Her weaves is pretty good considering she can't bend. lol. But yes, in class, Bubbles gets chicken for doing things. :) Very high value.
 
Back
Top