How fast does a Sheltie's fur grow out?

Fasb's Owner

Forums Enthusiast
.. in general, I mean. I expect all dogs are a bit different.

I want to get my sheltie trimmed up for the summer. His coat's a bit heavy and he hasn't had a grooming for a while (he does get regular baths and brushings). I was planning to wait about three weeks, until mid-July, but I'm wondering if I should just call the groomer now and try to get in in a couple of days. I typically wait until mid-July and get the dogs trimmed up for July and August, but we're in the middle of a heat wave right now, so.... We seem to get hot weather a little earlier in my region these days.

A few particulars about the dog. I live in the mid-Atlantic. We usually only get really hot weather and humidity in July and August. June this year was quite comfortable. Fasb is a 10 year old male, about 29 pounds. He's mostly an indoor dog these days. We let him out in the morning before, say, 10 AM, and feed and exercise him around dusk or later. He spent more time outside when he was younger, but seemed to want to stay in more as he got older. My wife and I prefer that due to a few issues, and he seems fine.

He doesn't seem to be having problems with the heat, but I don't want to wait until he does. We do have A/C, but it still gets stuffy in parts of the house. The AC keeps the basement and lower levels very cool, but the top floor (bedrooms) and attic get stuffy and hot by late day. Wife doesn't mind heat and humidity, so we usually run the AC somewhat sparingly - from late morning to dark or so. House stats around 74 degrees.

Never really noticed Fasb dragging, panting excessively, tongue hanging out, etc. Only concession to temperature so far is he has been sleeping downstairs at night. He usually sleeps in our bedroom either by the window or in a chair at the foot of the bed. When it's warm, he sleeps downstairs on the tile, then comes up during the early AM hours when it cools off a bit.

A couple questions. I'm a little new to this.

1) If I have Fasb's groomed/trimmed now, how fast will it grow out. Mid-July through August tend to be hot and humid moreso than early July. I'd debating if it would be better to wait. We do get warm weather throughout September, thought it tends to be cooler overnight and such.

2) Besides panting, discoloration of tongue, dragging, etc., what are some of the other signs to watch for for heat. Want to make sure I don't miss anything.

3) Is it true shelties (dogs in general) don't shed in the summer until the get too warm. Fasb sheds very little in spring and early summer. Almost not at all. He used to shed in mid-July. Lately, it seems more like August.

Thanks. I've only had Fasb about a year, but we've been around him all my life. Previous owner was my sister-in-law.
 
There have been a couple of threads recently about 'summer cuts' and shaving a sheltie that you might want to have a look at, also Chris's Bitsy is gets a summer cut and there are some pics posted of that.

My male has had a couple of partial shaves (for surgery and once by a bad groomer), it took about 9mths for the shaved/clipped fur to grow back to the same length as the other fur. Also the guard hair may not grow back the same, so keep that in mind.

Honestly, shelties aren't a dog that needs clipping. So if he isn't showing signs of being over-heated, or having problems with being groomed, I wouldn't worry about a clip.

They do shed in summer, just that they have two big seasonal sheds where you end up with tumbleweeds in the house! I find winter is the time they shed the least. Even if you clip you still must groom the dog just as much to get the undercoat out and stop matting, otherwise the dog will end up twice as hot.
 
By the sound of things it doesn't sound like you need to worry about trimming/shaving your sheltie. If you think you dog is hot you can have his belly shaved, but it doesn't sound like bad weather conditions there. What is the average temp you get? What do you consider 'hot'? If he spends most of the day inside then I see no reason to shave. PERSONALLY I wouldn't shave at all, regardless. I would only recommend a good scissor cut and that's only when it's absolutely necessary.
 
I'd never consider shaving him. Not even really keen on shaving his stomach, though I guess I'd consider it under certain circumstances. He's had what amounts to a "puppy cut" several times. I didn't know to call it that until today. So far I can tell, his hair has always grown back just fine. Frankly, if it didn't, I'd shrug. I prefer the classic Sheltie look, but Fasb turns 11 at the end of summer and is purely a companion dog (a very friendly, loyal companion). Only thing I really care about is making him as comfortable as possible.

As far as weather, average is probably high 80's/65-low 70's overnight. Nothing like what some people deal with, though I loathe it nonetheless. My wife was born in Texas and raised in Kentucky. She laughs at this. In really hot summers, we get fair number of days in the low 90's and see 100 once every few years. Does get fairly humid at times.
 
Shaving a sheltie is not healthy for them, from what I've read. They are not meant to be shaved at all (other than for a medical procedure).

For keeping him cool, I think the A/C, maybe a cooling bed, lots of fresh cold water for drinking, and my two love ice cubes. As long as you don't leave him outside all day without a shaded area or a way back inside, he should be fine. I wouldn't even have him trimmed - they have a natural summer coat.
 
As far as weather, average is probably high 80's/65-low 70's overnight. Nothing like what some people deal with, though I loathe it nonetheless. My wife was born in Texas and raised in Kentucky. She laughs at this. In really hot summers, we get fair number of days in the low 90's and see 100 once every few years. Does get fairly humid at times.

Remember, ONLY TRIM IF IT'S NEEDED. There have debates about people trimming their shelties fur even when the dog is a risk of over heating. If you do everything right your dog is not at risk. If you lived in a place that is common for 90s and 100s then it may be considered, but shaving a sheltie at 80*F is completely unneeded. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against giving a sheltie a trim, but only if it's needed. YOU may think it's hot, but does your dog? From your description it doesn't sound like he is suffering from the heat at all. This is just my opinion, but if I lived were you do I would never consider trimming. Just keep him brushed and don't let him stay out in direct sunlight too long and he'll be just fine. In really hot summers WE get high 90s EVERY DAY and on action up to 110. On cool summers we get low to high 90s
 
Back
Top