How soon to start grooming?

DoDAH

Forums Novice
Sorry, new here and I've done a number of searches but can't find the answer to WHEN should I start grooming a puppy? This is my 3rd, but I honestly can't remember when I started brushing.

Anyone care to point me in the right direction?:confused2:
 
I certainly no expert, but I have always started brushing, combing, etc. quickly. That may or may not be the correct thing to do but it has worked for me. I have operated on the idea that the sooner you start the fewer problems later.
I will be anxious to see what the other members have to say.
 
I started introducing Missy to the brush and nail clippers pretty much as soon as I brought her home. It's good practice to get them used to being touched and brushed, and have their feet held and nails trimmed. You can gently brush through the fur just for practice, even if your puppy doesn't need it. Give treats when they don't fuss and make it enjoyable. It also helps you bond with the puppy.
 
mine by a week old are getting their nails clipped and by 3 weeks they are used to have a brush run over them...although mine are handled soo much they are used to just about everything...Usually a good breeder has the puppies already used to being groomed so it shouldnt be a big deal for them to start when they come home!
 
Back
Top