how to get Started

Sheltie:)

Forums Regular
Hello,

our puppy Judah and our daughter Kris wiould like to do some Agility work. This would be a Great Summer Project for both of them.

We live in West Central Minnesota. We would appriciate any tips on how to get them started.

Are there any families in our area that we could meet?
 
Agility

How old is Judah? You should look for a place in your area that trains agility and they will help you. Your daughter Kris and Judah would start in a foundations class.Judah should have a reliable sit stay and recall. There is lots of stuff you can teach at home also. Are you near Hopkins Minnesota? Hopkins is where the AKC World team Tryouts are every year in May.If you live near there you and Kris should go and watch You will see lots of shelties competing for a spot on the world team and you could talk to some of the people.
 
I just posted an incredibly detailed answer to this question for someone else last week. I hope you don't mind if I just link you over to that rather than retype or repost the entire thing a 2nd time in a very short period.

The post can be found here: http://sheltieforums.com/showpost.php?p=83055&postcount=14

If you want to look for clubs in your area that train agility, the way I found the club I belong to was to Google "Agility Training" +Pittsburgh. You can substitute "Pittsburgh" for your city/town or a major city near you.
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the info!


Judah is 5mo. birthday 10/24/09. Kristin is 12yrs soon to be 13 yrs in May.

Nikki
 

Attachments

  • Christmas 2009 pic pic 013.jpg
    Christmas 2009 pic pic 013.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 20
What part of Minnesota? Look into your country 4-H program. They have great dog projects of youngsters both obedience and agility. If you give me your country, I can ask my friend if she has contacts for your area.

If your not too far out of the cities I can give you the names of some places of classes.:smile2:
 
Hi,

We are in Fergus Falls MN. Our Breeder is in Pelican Rapids MN. The nearest major city to us is Fargo, ND.

I am not saying for sure that we will do this but I would like to check into it to see if we have any options.

Thanks so much!

Nikki
 
Fergus Falls is that Otter Tail county? I don't know much out that way. I think Fargo has a good agility club. I know my obedience instructor has gone to agility trials up there. I'll ask around for places near you. :smile2:
 
Back
Top