Human supplements for dogs

corbinam

Moderator
I've been reading some old posts and just wanted to get some clarification.

If I'm reading correctly...I can give human fish oil capsules to the dogs? That would be nice--I imagine it's probably cheaper.

Also, can I give human vitamin E?

Thanks!
 
I give mine 'human' supplements all the time. This is what they get for breakfast in their yogurt or cottage cheese:

fish oil liquid or flax seed oil emulsified in yogurt or cottage cheese then I mix in:

Vit D
Milk Thistle (once a week)
Artemesia (once a week)
Black walnut
Sasha's blend
Brewer's yeast and garlic (all natural for dogs)
 
I give human joint supplements (though don't give the whole pill). I've done a lot of research on joint supplements from back when I had horses, and glucosamin HCL isn't the best form of glucosamine to use, as the body isn't able to absorb much of it, as the particles are too large. Glucosamine sulfate is much more effective. I've only been able to find supplements with sulfate instead of HCL in human and horse supplements. All of the dog supplements contain the HCL, which is less effective.
Like Ania, I've also fed flax seed in yogurt.
And yes, you can give human vitamin E and fish oil capsules
 
Yes, except for joint supplements. My vet friend (who is not in active practice, and has no reason to lie to me) says it is well established that dogs can not metabolize joint supplements made for people.
 
That would render all joint supplements ineffective then.
The glucosamine used in dog supplements is poorly absorbed. Same for chondroitin (though that goes for all species- not just dogs)
 
Back
Top