In heat - not the temp. :)

1stSheltie

Forums Regular
So Julip decided she'd go into heat now - when we she is booked in to be spayed on Tues.!!! She is just 6 months old! Silly girl, she wasn't supposed to do this NOW! :gaah

We were away with her at a rented cottage this past week & it started around Wed. ? Not 100% what day, as we were in the beach water every day. So 1st noticed she was licking herself more, but thought it was because she was generally wet from being in the lake. But then noticed the blood & by today it was actually dripping here & there. We returned home today - with a stop along our route at the pet store for some undies!

We didn't have internet or a phone (yes we do not own a cell - we are a rare breed!) at the cottage so I couldn't do any research & I REALLY wasn't planning on this happening SO early, so I haven't read much on "the change".

We got her blood work done last Sat. (just to ensure she'd be OK going under). All is good there (vet left a message while we were away)

My question - can we wait a couple months now to have her spayed - like Sept. having her blood work done NOW - it would still be good for 3-4 months from now, right? I know we'll want to (have to) wait about a month from now anyway to get her spayed, so I figure waiting til Sept. when we / she has less on the go after summer events.

When do they go into heat again? We won't wait till then obviously - but I just want to ensure nothing just happens AGAIN!

With our Canada Day tomorrow & thus holiday on Monday, I won't be able to call the vet's office till Tues.

She's been her normal happy, loveable self so far, so not sure on personality changes?! Perhaps barking more? Hard to tell since we were away & she saw a lot of kids & she barks because she wants to play with them.

Side note: hubby, Julip & I had an amazing vacation, its SO fun to travel with her, she adjusted just fine to the cottage! Even rang her bell there to go out! What a good girl!
 
Silly girl, 6 months doesn't she know better. :rolleyes2:

It will depend on your vet regarding if they will want to redo the bloodwork or not. I always did it on the morning of(had inhouse blood machines) so never ran into this issue but most I know want in within a week. Alot can change in 3-4 months. Less likely in a pup but still.

You can spay them in heat if the vet and you are comfortable but if you elect not to you will want to wait atleast 2-3 months after the season is done. Any earlier than 2 months it won't make a difference in vessel/uterus size than if they are in actual heat. The season is 3 weeks long so be sure to keep her under close observation the entire 3 weeks if you elect to wait.

The avg. dog goes into season every 6 months or so give or take.

My girls are a bit grumpy and a little sleepy but the is about it. NO real personality changes. Diva always get depressed because she can't play with the boys or go to agility. :(

GOod luck with Julip.
 
Thank you Dr. Shelli! Glad you responded!

Yes probably will have to get the bloodwork done again then. What are they checking for with the bloodwork?

Oh well, what's another $80!? She's priceless after all! :smile2:

Julip seems a bit more "clingy", she was like that at the cottage, but it was hard to tell if it was because she was some place new & just wanted us with her all the time to reassure her. I mean she always wants to be with us anyway, but it's more possessive now.

Had her fushia panties on her for a bit this morning - OK, she looked too cute! :biggrin2:
She is usually sensitive about being touched around her bum region to begin with? Like if I have to trim a piece of poop out etc. she struggles, but now she's really not a fan of any contact there, so getting her tail thru the hole is the hardest part, once they are on, she's OK though.

Back when we first got her, when we picked her up at the breeders, one of her other dogs, a Coton de Tulear was trying to have sex with her, when the breeder put her out on the patio to pee. So we couldn't get to her super fast, as we were just watching from inside. I've often wondered if her having this dog do that to her as a young pup, as I'm sure it happened more then when we were there! (yes I have quite a few issues with this supposedly "great" 30 yr breeder)

Would that be why she has issues with us going near that area? I know NOW she's extra sensitive there!
But she's had issues with us lifting her tail etc. from day one of bringing her home.
The vet also said she had puppy vaginitis when we first brought her in.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated - thanks!
 
.Back when we first got her, when we picked her up at the breeders, one of her other dogs, a Coton de Tulear was trying to have sex with her, when the breeder put her out on the patio to pee. So we couldn't get to her super fast, as we were just watching from inside. I've often wondered if her having this dog do that to her as a young pup, as I'm sure it happened more then when we were there! (yes I have quite a few issues with this supposedly "great" 30 yr breeder)

Would that be why she has issues with us going near that area? I know NOW she's extra sensitive there!
But she's had issues with us lifting her tail etc. from day one of bringing her home.
The vet also said she had puppy vaginitis when we first brought her in.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated - thanks!

No dogs do that to each other all the time. Sex is only one reason they mount each other. Dominant, excitement, play and sex(that is only when they are in season-other times will get their face removed but the bitch they learn trust me).

More likely it is from the vaginitis and lack of handling of that area just like some dogs are sensitive about their feet.
 
Back
Top