Is Trifexis Safe?

Gardian3

Forums Novice
We began using Trifexis approximately one year ago for our two Shelties, mother and daughter, ages 12 and 10 respectively. They were previously taking Heartguard and Frontline for years without any problems. On 10-01-12, the mother died of kidney failure. Today, her daughter died while under the Vets care, of the same thing-kidney failure. Our family is heart broken! I have no proof that Trifexis caused their deaths but if I had the chance to do it over I would have stayed with the Heartguard and Frontline.
 
I am so very, very sorry for your loss. I don't know the answer, but my heart goes out to you. :hugs
 
I'm so very sorry to hear about your girls. Thank you for sharing the information about your experience with Trifexis with us. Sending you hugs.
 
I am so sorry about your loss. It has to be heartbreaking. What did your vet say? Did he think the kidney failure could be genetic/ age related or is kidney failure listed as a side effect of Trifexis? I have only had 1 experience with Trifexis when a dog we fostered for our local humane society was on it. He did ok with it but he was a maltipoo mix & I don't know how long he'd been on it. We only had him long enough to give 1 dose. I would definitely contact the drug company & report your concerns to them. We will keep you in our prayers.
 
Trifexis

Thanks for your kind words! Our vet had no definitive explanation other than dogs generally die of either kidney failure or cancer. Daisy was the younger of the two and was in excellent health. When I administered her last dose of Trifexis, with an hour, she began vomiting for days, refusing to eat, and entered the downward spiral that led to her death. As I mentioned, I have no concrete evidence that Trifexis caused their deaths but I believe it was a causal factor and felt compelled to let other dog owners know.
 
Back
Top