Just throwing this out there...

The mere fact that it is a kibble means that raw still beats it in my books. It has great ingredients, yes. But it is still an over processed, dried nugget, supplemented with additional and/or artificial supplements to replace the natural nutrients lost during the processing.

There is still much too much starch for my liking. Starch is impossible to avoid in a kibble, it is required to hold everything together in kibble form. So no matter what kibble you are looking at, there will be starches in there just for the sheer mechanics of it. More starch than dogs need. Granted, pea or potato starch is better than grain-based starch, but it is still more than what is ideal for a dog.

I liken it to serving your family a whole grilled chicken breast or the best top of the line chicken nugget. Sure, that nugget is still chicken. It may be made of high quality chicken with no added preservatives or flavorings. But is anyone going to argue that the chicken nugget is better than the chicken breast? No. Why? Because the chicken breast is whole, unadulterated, and unprocessed (as unprocessed as grocery store meat can be).

I hope to never find myself in a situation where I have to switch off of raw. If I do, then I will certainly consider a brand like Horizon or Orijen. But I would never choose any kibble, no matter how great it looks, over a natural raw diet. Not even considering ingredients, kibble is too dry, adding extra stress to kidneys and provides no dental, physical, or mental stimulation. So before we even consider ingredient quality, I feel raw is better than kibble already. Not to mention, that a high quality kibble such as Horizon or Orijen is much more expensive than a well balanced raw diet. So you are spending more money on an inferior product. Doesn't add up in my books.
 
I just changed Mo Mo kibbles from Cani source (From canada,and more ex*****ve than Horizon) to Horizon Legacy Adult.
Because I found out that Mo Mo's stool is a bit loose with Cani source, so I changed to Horizon legacy, mo mo had horizon legazy puppy food before.
I just want to feed him the best food, but some comments said horizon have high protein, not suitable for all dogs? especially have liver and kidney problem dog and may suitable for large breed only?
 
My pups are on Horizon Legacy as well. From the research that I've done, they only thing to be watchful of is that your pups get lots of water. At one time, I found a website that explained why, but I haven't been able to find it since. Regardless, for this reason, I mix hot water into their kibble to make a little stew.

It's a great food, though I have to admit that Bacca is a little ambivalent about it. Sometimes he eats it all right away, other times I have to coax him. Indy, my hog, devours in about 30 seconds flat.

There is another grain-free that has a little less protein, also from Canada, called Acana (made by the same company as Orijen). I considered it, but it would require me to drive across the city to get it.

Another good alternative is Innova Evo.

These are all priced about the same.
 
Protein is processed by the liver, and needs water to do this successfully. Water is also needed to carry the waste by-products to the kidneys. More protein means that more water is needed for this cycle.
 
Back
Top