Kennel Cough Vaccine!

BarbV

Forums Celebrity
Hi

I brought Indy to the vet today for his "pre-testicular removal assessment" :smile2:

The vet raised an apparently new "standard" with respect to Kennel Cough vaccine.

It seems that there is a new standard out there that indicates that the vaccine may not be good for a full 12 months and therefore, many vets are recommending boosters every 6 months.

In fact, he says that if you were to kennel your pup or bring him to play group at Petsmart, they would insist on a booster within the last 6 months. And "apparently" more and more establishments are saying the same.

Has anyone heard about this? Have you any comment on this?

How high is the risk factor if I might board my pups once per year, bring them to the vet for yearly checkups and an occasional "professional' grooming?
 
I never get my guys their kennel cough vaccine, and they compete in numerous sports, travel everywhere for dog stuff, and train at public dog facilities minimum 3-4 times per week.

Kennel cough is essentially the dog version of the human cold. If the dog catches it, rest them, monitor them and talk to your vet about cough suppressants (usually over the counter children's cough syrup). In compromised dogs, it can occasionally develop into pneumonia, but if your dog is generally healthy and you use some common sense in monitoring them (know when it is time to go to the vet), then you can prevent that.

Also, like the human cold, there are many many strains of kennel cough. So a vaccination may protect against a couple of strains, but not all of them.

If you board or do doggy daycare where the vaccination is required, then you may be out of luck. But if you don't ever take the dogs anywhere that requires proof of vaccination, I wouldn't get it done.
 
Hi

I brought Indy to the vet today for his "pre-testicular removal assessment" :smile2:

The vet raised an apparently new "standard" with respect to Kennel Cough vaccine.

It seems that there is a new standard out there that indicates that the vaccine may not be good for a full 12 months and therefore, many vets are recommending boosters every 6 months.

In fact, he says that if you were to kennel your pup or bring him to play group at Petsmart, they would insist on a booster within the last 6 months. And "apparently" more and more establishments are saying the same.

Has anyone heard about this? Have you any comment on this?

How high is the risk factor if I might board my pups once per year, bring them to the vet for yearly checkups and an occasional "professional' grooming?

apparently, from what I understand, it depends on the form of the vaccine- shots are good for a year and the spray-up the nose kind is only good for 6 months. but like GeeRome says, if you don't absolutely need it, I wouldn't bother either.
 
Kennel cough Vaccine ??

I also don't get , and never have gotten any of my dogs kennel cough vaccine unless I had no other choice like I was going somewhere and had to board them. I prefer to have my animals taken care of at my home where they feel more relaxed. and kennel cough is not an issue.:wink2:
 
We still do our vaccines once a year for KC. I take in way too many strays and shelter dogs to let mine go unprotected. My vet has never mentioned giving this vaccine more than once a year but I will ask him his opinion (which I value) and see what his stand is on the possible new criteria.

Hugs
 
I used to work at an SPCA and now I volunteer there. I bring Spencer with me (and leave him in the Break Room most of the time), but because of the unknowns with most of the surrendered dogs, I have had the Vet give him the IntraTrac vaccine (nasal) to protect him some of the strains. And that is one that needs to be given every six months. I don't know what I'm going to do now that Spencer has been diagnosed with epilepsy since I'm hoping to use titers for checking on antibody levels to avoid any potential problem with vaccines.:confused2:
 
I don't get it unless I have too (boarding). It's kinda like the flu shot, it doesn't cover all the different strains.
 
Back
Top