Limping on front legs

Michaela

Forums Novice
Hi everybody, I'm searching the internet trying to figure out what wrong can be with my 20-month pup. He started to limp on his front right leg a week ago. I checked it for possible objects stuck between his fingers but didn't find anything. I palpated his leg but didn't find no swelling either. He runs a lot with my other 3-year old dog in the backyard, so I thought he probably "twisted his ankle" or something similar. I kept him inside the house hoping in will go better if he stays calm because he didn't seem it would hurt him. 4-5 days later he stopped limping. I was so glad he was fine again. Unfortunately, he was fine only one day. The next day he started BUT on his OTHER (left) front leg. I checked this leg as well. No foreign object between fingers, no swelling, no pain (no crying) when I applied a little pressure.....:no: He used to have a lump on one of his elbows when he was younger which didn't grow. Our vet told us it's probably just water but if we want to we can have a sample taken out of it to find out if it really is just water....the lump is now gone. I wonder if his limping is due to glucosamine chondroitin deficiency. Thank you for suggestions of any kind.
 
It sounds like the same symtoms I experienced with Lexi at about that same age. She would limp for a short while and then be fine. We couldn't really identify which side was giving her trouble. Our regular vet couldn't find anything with digital x rays, but referred us to a specialist when the symtoms persisted. He ordered a bone scan. She had elbow displacia. According to the specialist, very unusual in shelties. He did surgery and she has been fine since. Wish I could say the same for my budget!!

I hope this isn't your pup's problem, but definitely you should follow up.
 
I would definitely have the vet check his blood for Lyme disease. Crazy thing is my Bentley's numbers were in the 300's, yet he showed NO symptoms for Lyme. It was detected during his yearly heartworm/lyme test. The rescue where we got him from only tested for heartworm so it was unclear how long he was infected. Good news is that after a month of antibiotics and two rechecks months apart his numbers are back down to 50, which is normal.
 
I second the Lyme suggestion. The ticks are at their worst right now, and you wouldn't necessarily find the tiny ones, even if you use preventative. My Barkley had the same symptoms you describe the first time he had Lyme, and every summer after that until this year.

One suggestion...take your pup's temperature. If he's running a fever, it's probably Lyme. Although they can have Lyme with no temp, but that's a pretty good indicator. And definitely a vet visit is in order.

Good luck, and keep us posted please!
 
My Sheltie pup started limping on her front leg at about 9 months. It would get better off and on but after 3 X-rays and a questionable determination of arthritis, and months of dasuquin treatment, at 16 months, I finally got a treatment of accupuncture. Two treatments later, she never limped again. She is now nearly 24 months and runs and plays hard with her Sheltie sister with no effects. I don't really know if the acupuncture made the difference here although it does help her older pit/dobbie sister, but it coincided with treatment. Just my experience and thoughts on the subject but perhaps it is just something they need to outgrow.
 
Back
Top