Makeshift weave pole training

Phebe*DD

Forums Enthusiast
I really would like for Phebe to be further along with the weaves before the Nancy Gyes seminar in May. We've been training with guides in class and she's pretty good -- refuses entry once in a while, but is getting better.

I don't have weave poles at home, but I do use some parking barrier posts at the park to simluate weaves while we're out on our walks. Today while I was practicing handling her over jumps in the back yard, I decided to remove the crossbars on the jumps and offset them to simulate a close channel weave. It lets me at least practice entries and exits without guides. Does anyone see any potential problems with this approach?
 

Attachments

  • 4422385571_21b5def74f.jpg
    4422385571_21b5def74f.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 4422385741_0704c0cd71.jpg
    4422385741_0704c0cd71.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 14
as long as you randomly have different numbers of weave poles there shouldn't be a problem, but if I were you i'd spring for some weave poles, should cost about $100 for a good set of 12 or 2 sets of 6. Very worth it IMO.
 
For ages I was trying to train my dogs on 4 or 6 weaves and they just werent getting it. In the end I made a set of 12 weaves out of pvc - with a pvc base. It made all the difference. I wish now I had just invested in a set of 12 weaves from the start because I dont think all that practice in the backyard made any difference. Its also worth making sure the weaves are regulation distance so they can develop a rythem.
 
Back
Top