My bi black is now a tri!

Lysette85

Forums Enthusiast
Little Bear has VERY red (purplish red) fur on his back, behind ears, and his wooly pants. His back used to be jet black...his ears and pants were always a little lighter. Am I bleaching him in the sun? If so, Can you use a mist of sunscreen on dogs? I know they put SPF in leave in conditioners but they can be expensive.
 
Sounds like "rusty" patches. That's usually a sun issue. You might want to try Chris Christensen's Black on Black shampoo.
 
I know that people on the forum have mentioned before that some lines are more prone to rusting than others. Sometimes it's related to sun exposure, but not always.

I know that Chris Christensen's Ice on Ice (a spray) has SPF in it.
 
I know that people on the forum have mentioned before that some lines are more prone to rusting than others. Sometimes it's related to sun exposure, but not always.

I know that Chris Christensen's Ice on Ice (a spray) has SPF in it.

Has anyone ever used regular sunscreen? With how much we are out in the sun (and in water) I would go through the more expensive CC stuff like crazy. I was just looking at the black on black shampoo. I'm pretty sure it's "rusting" going on behind the ears and pants. But more likely the sun on his back. We are out for up to 10 hours a day in it.
 
CC's Ice on Ice has a sunscreen. One bottle will last a season. Just give a spray in the morning along his back.

The Black on Black shampoo is also great to use.
 
Has anyone ever used regular sunscreen? With how much we are out in the sun (and in water) I would go through the more expensive CC stuff like crazy. I was just looking at the black on black shampoo. I'm pretty sure it's "rusting" going on behind the ears and pants. But more likely the sun on his back. We are out for up to 10 hours a day in it.

I'd be careful using regular sunscreen, I recall reading there is something toxic in it to dogs and our dogs do lick themselves and would injest it.
 
I'd be careful using regular sunscreen, I recall reading there is something toxic in it to dogs and our dogs do lick themselves and would injest it.

My dog's spend a lot of time in the water (swimming and running) so the sunscreen would come off pretty quick. I would need to reapply ever couple hours, so I don't think a bottle would last a season. But I'll look into larger sized bottles-and what the actual SPF is-if it's lower than 10 it's probably not worth it in my case. I know people use baby sunscreens on breeds such as Chinese cresteds. The zinc oxide is toxic but my dogs can't reach their backs and when we're outside they don't groom themselves because they are quite preoccupied. Thanks for the input! I'd like to at least try the Ice on Ice because I know it's a great product for inbetween bathings. Maybe I'll just use that for walks that I know there won't be deep water.
 
I read somewhere that the blacks who are rusty are more susceptible to the sun fade. I just bought some Ice on Ice concentrate. It dilutes way down so should last a long time. I put it in a small pump bottle that makes a fine mist. The dark dogs get a spray when they go outside.

I have CC Black on Black shampoo. Has anyone tried the Plush Puppy Black Opal shampoo?
 
As others have suggested, I would spritz with Ice on Ice.

I use this on Indy (my tri) all summer and it seems to keep the rustines away.

Good news though, is that rustiness does fade eventually....its not permanent....
 
Back
Top