My sheltie has arthritis any good meds or supps?

FYI, regarding Fish Oil.

I took this last year for about 11 months, and I noticed a major decrease in chronic back aches and knee pain.

IF you are going to use fish oil, then you need to know a simple fact.

Fish oil is a generic term that is deceptively used by many Manf's.
The proven active ingredient part of fish oil is the EPA portion.
Most 1000mg fish oil caps have 100-200 mg EPA, though some are down to 80mg. For most humans, an average daily dose of EPA Omega 3 should be 800-1200 mg minimum for at least several weeks to a month before you'll most likely really notice it.

There are a number of people who are advocating 2000 mg/day for more serious issues, however as it works as a natural blood thinner, you want to be careful.

I usually use the Trader Joes supplement because its 800mg/caplet I believe, which works out decent compared to taking 2-3-4 200-300 mg tablets, both $$-wise and swallowing-wise.

My dog usually gets 1 tablet per meal of the lower dose Costco FO simply because it comes in like 250 or 400 cap bottles for $10-15.




http://www.livestrong.com/article/392626-is-fish-oil-a-natural-blood-thinner/

http://www.livestrong.com/article/176784-what-is-epa-dha-in-fish-oil/
 
I would like to try Vibrant pets. I used Fresh Factor and Glyco III with good results on my Flat Coated Retriever, rest her soul.... she lived 15.5 years!

Bobby and Justus are on Body and Joint Renew now, but it will cost too much to go back and get a refill, I can't get out of her office for less than $200.00
 
Get your dog onto a course of Adequin injections. Here we use something similar called Pentosan and every dog I know with arthritis (including my own) uses it and it is fantastic. It has minimal side effects and builds a protective coating aroubd the joints.

In addition, I give my dog a few Green Lip Mussels for breakfast. The scientific name is Perna canalicula and it has been scientifically proven to reduce inflammation. Most joint supplements (like Sasha's Blend) now contain Green Lip Mussels but I like to give him extra, which he seems to like. I just get the mussels in a jar from the grocery store as it works out cheaper than the dried doggy variety.

I also give Pernease as a supplement (similar to Sashas blend), and a joint vitamin by vet basix.

For medication he is on Previcox daily. Rimadyl made him ill and after taking Metacam for a couple of years he got hemmoragic gastro, and tho we don't know if it was related the specialist switched him to Previcox. Previcox is a COX2 selective inhibitor, which means it has minimal impact on COX1. COX-1 enzymes protect the lining of the stomach and also have a role in kidney function, whereas COX2 is an inflammatory response enzyme. The older drugs tend to target both COX enzymes so side effects like stomach upsets and kidney problems are likely to be more common.

He also takes Tramal regularly for pain.
 
We also use good fish oils...but we add Dasuquin w/ MSM and Duralactin as supplements for the arthritis w/ very good results!!
 
There are no shortage of treats, foods and supplements that contain glucosamine and chlrotrin (sp?)- any of these are good choices.

In particular, look at the food you are feeding.....is it a senior's formula....if so then most likely those additives will already be there. If you decide to add supplements as well....well, I'm not sure if too much of a good thing is a good thing.

However if the arthristis is severe, then you might need to consider a more medical approach as some have suggested. That's a conversation for you and your vet.

Good luck!
 
Back
Top