Neglected Shelties coat

Billino32

Forums Novice
I just adopted 2 Shelties brother and sister who had been neglected, their coat is matted and knots of fur behind the ears, I know your not suppose to give them a full buzz shaving, but do you think I could do it this once so it can grow out and I can take care of it properly from now on, it's summertime also.
 
From my experience it takes up to a year or more for a Sheltie to grow out of a bad grooming, never mind a complete shave.

Can you post pictures? Unless the dogs are really, really bad, I would focus on techniques to cut out the individual matts.

What grooming tools to you have? To avoid a full shave, you will need:

- Patience!
- Thinning Shears
- Straight Shears
- Slicker Brush
- Pin brush
- Detangling spray like Chris Christensen Ice on Ice or Isle of Dogs Silky Spray, for example
- Small round tip nail scissors

and more....if you are up to the challenge and want to avoid shaving, I and others on the forum can give your grooming tips. But I would avoid shaving if possible.

My two cents worth.
 
depending on how bad they are matted, it may be more humane to just shave them down. I know several breeders who shave their dogs they are not showing...I personally dont do it but like I said it may be just easier on the dogs state of mind to just do a quick shave instead of subjecting them to hrs of painful grooming, and in the end still having to either cut of shave them.
 
Unfortunately, I think it depends on the dog and the state of the dog's coat.

Are there any groomers near you that are familiar with shelties? Or sheltie rescues that might have a groomer that they use? Or even a local sheltie breeder? I would recommend contacting someone who can tell you "oh yes, you just need to trim this up and get rid of this mat and poof good as new" or, "oh no this just needs to be shaved". Someone who knows shelties would be able to best evaluate the state of his coat and give you good direction.
 
You could take them to a groomer that's great with shelties. Save yourself the time, and all the extra tools for now. But a picture would really help determine what's most humane.
 
Groomers sometimes have a tough time with Shelties. Is there a Sheltie breeder near you that you could ask for help? They are most qualified to figure out what products and methods would be best for your dogs. If you don't know one, do a search on the ASSA website for breeders or even a local Sheltie club. They may even be able to advise you by phone.

Bless you for giving these two boys love and a home! :smile2:
 
Back
Top