Number of classes

Justicemom

Forums Celebrity
Ok there are some upcoming NADAC and TDAA agility trials coming up in my area. I'm thinking of entering Ember and it would be her first agility shows. The clubs have a price break for entering all the classes/games of a weekend. In NADAC that is 6 per day(total of 12) and TDAA 5 per day(total of 10). I'm tempted to enter all but that is a lot of runs.:smile2: What do people do starting out with their dogs. Should I just enter a few and see how it goes?

I have done 16 obedience runs in a 2 day weekend with 2 dogs in UKC before. It was a lot of running around for me and I know Ember can work several times a day. Also it will only be one dog. Diva is not ready and going away with her co owner to breed shows alot this spring/summer:(. SO I need something to occupy myself with so I don't miss her.

I'm also trying to decide which AKC obedience and agility shows I want to enter Ember in too. Need those last 2 UDX legs yet. Sigh, I'm getting into this mode that I can't decide and then I usually do nothing.
 
If you feel that both you and Ember are physically fit for that many runs and you want the challenge...why not? We'll all be proud of you whatever you decide!
 
I think (trying to count in my head) that we've done a trial where we had 7 runs in a day. I might be wrong...it may have been 6. It is definitely doable, but I think it really depends on how spread out it is.

I found that the day where there were less dogs entered (it was a Friday) and we had 5 runs, that it was more tiresome for me and Bentley.

By the end of that weekend, we were exhausted.

I think it is definitely doable, but make sure to keep an eye on Ember and see if she shows any serious signs of fatigue or injury.
 
Agility

I would only do one day of trials.I would not want to stress my dog out.I am entering Sting one day only in May and Shadow all 3 days as he is a seasoned dog.If you think Ember would not stress then go for it.
 
One thing that determined how many runs I could do....was what we could actually do.

i.e. in NADAC, I can't do standard nor gamblers (is that what they call it? I'm so confused about all the names of the games). Koji doesn't have enough distance work to do Gamblers and isn't comfy with the A-frame yet to do Standard. So that left out a lot of runs for me.

Another thing to think about is....how long does it take Ember to focus?

i.e. for myself, Koji is a wreck the first run of the day. So, I sign him up for the fun stuff that I don't care about as much that I hope they run first (tunnelers, hoopers, etc).

Anyhow. So on my first day. I had only 4 runs over 2 days total. Actually, the most I've run is 6 in 2 days. And trust me, Koji was still crazy hyper even at the end of the day. He's wiped out, but still excited.

Just some other things to think about.
 
I enter Edan in everything at this point. Our first trial, CPE, I entered 6 out of 8 classes.

Edan seems to fair better after a weekend of 9 Teacup (TDAA) runs than 8 CPE runs. The difference, I believe, is the scale of the course. He doesn't have to run as far between obstacles, contacts are lower to the ground, etc.

If you aren't sure how your dog will handle a trial setting, I'd only enter him in 2 or 3 classes a day. Trials can be long and stressful with the majority of the time spent waiting for your (next) run.
 
Back
Top