Nutritional Supplements to save your green lawn

Wagonracer

Forums Regular
Does anyone have any experience with using nutritional supplements to neutralize your dog's urine ph? According to what I have read, if you add these supplements to your dog's diet it will save your grass from being burned every time they urinate on it... Does anyone know how safe this is?
 
Ive heard it is not safe at all infact it is known to damage their kidneys...Just do what I do every year buy new sod :lol: looks good spring summer and fall then next year early spring replace...viola new green lawn :wink2:
 
Not all dogs burn the grass with their urine either. I have one that does and one that doesn't. I think it has something to do with the ph balance in their systems and how they process their foods. You may just want to wait and see what happens. Also, you could always take your dog to the same spot of the yard to do his/her business. I think Ontariosheltie trained her girl to go in the same area all the time. Then you only have one area of the yard that is not so pretty. Or maybe even hose the area down after they have piddled. Just a thought. I have lost one of my girls in Jan. to kidney disease and she was only 7. I would hate to see someone put their dog through that by giving them a supplement just to prevent burnt spots in their yard. :no:
 
I agree with Shaun

I hate giving them any more meds than is absolutely nessesary. It just messes with their internal organs . We have these gorgeous furkids they depend on us for their care and they deserve the very best from us. That's what's so great about this forum with so many minds working we have a much better chance than just relying on our vet who sometimes have failed us.:eek2:
 
We turn our dogs out into the "poop yard" before they go to the fenced in backyard. The "poop yard" is my hubby's invention. He paved an area with sand and 12" square concrete pavers, and fenced it off separately from the rest of the yard. The poops scoop out easily with a metal pan, the concrete can be hosed off, and even when it is raining terribly the dogs can go out and not get muddy.
 
Not all dogs burn the grass with their urine either. I have one that does and one that doesn't. I think it has something to do with the ph balance in their systems and how they process their foods. You may just want to wait and see what happens. Also, you could always take your dog to the same spot of the yard to do his/her business. I think Ontariosheltie trained her girl to go in the same area all the time. Then you only have one area of the yard that is not so pretty. Or maybe even hose the area down after they have piddled. Just a thought. I have lost one of my girls in Jan. to kidney disease and she was only 7. I would hate to see someone put their dog through that by giving them a supplement just to prevent burnt spots in their yard. :no:

My forever pup would sometimes burn the lawn but most times not. I agree that it must have something to do with composition of their diets.

From my perspective, I don't care if my backyard has burn marks. I'm not going to give supplements to my pups for that. My backyard is for me and my pups only. I don't care if its a luscious green lawn!
 
We are in drought so I have little grass as it is. On my mum's suggestion I have beein running the grey water from the washing machine onto the grass where the dogs go. For some reason it does stop the burn spots - maybe it has something to do with the detergent neutralising the acidity in the urine??
 
Thanks for all the Great Feedback

I would NEVER want to give an animal anything that would even possibly hurt them. I was suspicious about it when I read it that's why I wanted to put it out there for feedback. Thanks...
 
Back
Top