obstacle oriented dog

SheltieChe

Forums Sage
for those of you whose dog is more obstacle oriented as opposed to handler oriented/ velcro dog/ what do you do to balance it out?
I am finding that Che LOVES his agility and seems to be always "on" when it comes to training... as a matter of fact he is happy to lay his own courses all the time... he is also fast dog... As long as there is row of obstacles set around the perimeter he will keep doing them like a pony in a circus:smile2:
We are consistently doing target/ focus exercises prior to every class and in general but I feel it still not putting me in a lead handler position.
 
Funny you should ask...we spent the entire weekend working with Stuart Mah, who is basically the creator of the ideas of handler vs. obstacle focus (he used to call it city v. highway driving). Many of the dogs in our club are obstacle focused, and there were a lot of things that he did to help them.

Here are a few that I can think of...

One set up was a straight line, 2 jumps to a tunnel. The obstacle focused dogs would often run and grab the tunnel before any instruction from the handler. Typically, the handler is pleased with the dog because it did, in fact, correctly handle the sequence. However, the dog honestly just guessed. So, the next time, the sequence may be a 180 from the last jump, not the tunnel. The dog automatically thinks "I was right last time, so I'm right this time...you (the handler) just messed up" and grabs the tunnel.

One exercise they did to get the dog in tune, and to help them know that they don't go to one focus or another without direction, was to have the handler go more slowly towards the tunnel. If the dog grabbed the tunnel without instruction, the handler turns and runs back in the opposite direction, running their "perfect dog". The dog comes out to find that the handler has moved on, and begins to wonder what was incorrect. If the dog waits with the handler (in this case, it may induce a refusal, that's okay), it goes to the tunnel when released by the handler. It is critical that the handler make the decision about when to release to the tunnel. If the dog starts committing, and THEN the handler says "go tunnel!" the dog again thinks he was guessing correctly.

A small exercise that can be done for even baby dogs is this. Put a target plate on the ground with a cookie. Back the dog up and send (obstacle focus). Do this a couple times. Then, put a cookie on the plate, but keep the dog moving away with you with the use of a cookie. If he grabs the cookie on the target plate, that's okay, it's the handlers fault. But, if you keep treating him for moving away with you, yay! Keep feeding cookies to keep his attention (talking to him the whole time quietly "yes, that's it, with me, good boy"). At your choosing, release him to the target, "GO!" and move with him. This teaches him to go from handler to obstacle focus. The dog soon learns that they can have the one cookie on the target plate by grabbing it right away, or they can get cookies with you, AND the one on the plate. You can increase the difficulty of this exercise by adding a jump, and sending over the jump, etc...

Those are just a couple principles that I can think of :) Sorry it got so long!
 
Agility

Thats good info.Thanks for sharing that Ashley.Iam doing a seminar with Sting in Feb.with Lo Baker.I am looking forward to that.
 
ohhhh
that IS good info!!!
switch it up...
I was doing a little mock gamblers today and it was a humbling experience, but it was his first lol :o
I have t work a LOT more on my shadow handling, I can tell you that much
 
Funny you should ask...we spent the entire weekend working with Stuart Mah, who is basically the creator of the ideas of handler vs. obstacle focus (he used to call it city v. highway driving). Many of the dogs in our club are obstacle focused, and there were a lot of things that he did to help them.

Here are a few that I can think of...

One set up was a straight line, 2 jumps to a tunnel. The obstacle focused dogs would often run and grab the tunnel before any instruction from the handler. Typically, the handler is pleased with the dog because it did, in fact, correctly handle the sequence. However, the dog honestly just guessed. So, the next time, the sequence may be a 180 from the last jump, not the tunnel. The dog automatically thinks "I was right last time, so I'm right this time...you (the handler) just messed up" and grabs the tunnel.

One exercise they did to get the dog in tune, and to help them know that they don't go to one focus or another without direction, was to have the handler go more slowly towards the tunnel. If the dog grabbed the tunnel without instruction, the handler turns and runs back in the opposite direction, running their "perfect dog". The dog comes out to find that the handler has moved on, and begins to wonder what was incorrect. If the dog waits with the handler (in this case, it may induce a refusal, that's okay), it goes to the tunnel when released by the handler. It is critical that the handler make the decision about when to release to the tunnel. If the dog starts committing, and THEN the handler says "go tunnel!" the dog again thinks he was guessing correctly.

A small exercise that can be done for even baby dogs is this. Put a target plate on the ground with a cookie. Back the dog up and send (obstacle focus). Do this a couple times. Then, put a cookie on the plate, but keep the dog moving away with you with the use of a cookie. If he grabs the cookie on the target plate, that's okay, it's the handlers fault. But, if you keep treating him for moving away with you, yay! Keep feeding cookies to keep his attention (talking to him the whole time quietly "yes, that's it, with me, good boy"). At your choosing, release him to the target, "GO!" and move with him. This teaches him to go from handler to obstacle focus. The dog soon learns that they can have the one cookie on the target plate by grabbing it right away, or they can get cookies with you, AND the one on the plate. You can increase the difficulty of this exercise by adding a jump, and sending over the jump, etc...

Those are just a couple principles that I can think of :) Sorry it got so long!

thank you for posting! It does make sense... I train at the club where everyone is volunteer, it is much better on the pocket but sometimes there is no one to answer the question.
I do similar play with Che with cookies at home, it is one of the SG recall training, I will see if I could translate it to the ring, darn I need at least 1 jump made for living room use...
 
Back
Top