Off courses for a handler focused dog

Cheryl, what you're saying is basically what I was thinking. I am still handling the handler focused Bentley, but we've worked so hard on his obstacle focus that I'm forgetting to handle that way.

The second time he grabbed an off course I honestly thought I was giving him the right information, but I think I need to not only cue him correctly, but set up differently (RC instead of FC, etc...)

I'm going to try to post the videos tonight.

I'm interested in seeing them. Honestly, you're probably doing things a lot better than I am, but I know how "stuck" I have been in my way of thinking. LOL. And that I'm seeing things fall apart in certain areas, because ohmigosh, Koji has distance, speed, and independence. NOOO! :rolleyes2:

Don't over think it, but next time you train, maybe set up that part of the course he was running off on and see if you can handle it differently. And see if it's the handling....or Bentley. For all we know, it could be Bentley. lol. Hey, cute or not, we know he's not perfect.

I was going to ask you also, have you noticed him blowing you off a lot lately? Or do you think it was just the weekend? I know this past weekend, I saw a LOT of dogs blow off their handlers. Dogs that don't typically do that at all. We all blamed the weather, since colder weather seems to make them crazier, hahaha.

Like I said, I could be wrong, it could be all Bentley, but just sharing some thoughts on what I know is going on with me and Koji.
 
Videos

I'm going to add two videos that are the two instances I described in the first post. I'm really not concerned about whether or not my body motion told Bentley to go one way or the other (it could be argued that in the one with the front cross, I opened up to the jump, etc...) I more just wanted to show the change that I am seeing in him, and I now know that I have to handle him a little more explicitly. In other words, 3 months ago he would have never taken those off courses...but this time he did. I need to change my handling to reflect the fact that he is becoming more independent.

Steeplechase (off-course occurs at 31 seconds)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h3VSLHZlTA

Team Jumpers (off-course occurs at 27 seconds..and yes I realize that a FC there was a stupid idea...but I still couldn't believe it!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lquIzC4nK0I
 
Wow, it's been a while since I have watched a Bentley video, but he looks like a different dog! In a good way. He seems to be going much faster and is much less cautious, to my (one-agility-class) eye. To be honest, he's beginning to look more like Lexi as far as agiliy - which is a positive thing.

I do think that whatever you are doing with him is working... but perhaps it is "backfiring" a bit. But in the long run I do think it's good for him and you. He will be better at agility and with this different training, his bond with you will grow. :smile2:
 
I think he really is just gaining confidence in working further away from you. Consequently, he does look to be gaining speed because of his new found independence.
To me, it looks like you're going to have to start to precue turns instead of waiting until he is already finished with an obstacle to indicate a turn. He didn't have much excuse on the first run, except perhaps he read you coming in a bit for a second as a push out, or perhaps a landing side rear cross (really probably more like it's from distance/independence work and him thinking he should go out). On the second run, I think if you brought your opposite arm up before you reached the jump where you wanted the front cross, and started to show motion turning, he would've read turn instead. There is seems he was only reading forward motion.
I do think you guys will come back together, and these things will stop occuring with time. It's just what tends to happen if a major change occurs such as more confidence, distance skills, or more speed. When these changes take place, we have to change our handling to change with our dogs, and there is some adjustment period to learn what we need to do differently.
 
Back
Top