There are a few different methods to that...I used the glue method. For the glue method you can also do it a couple different ways. Look up "Ear Tipping" in the previous threads and you will find about a trillion and one posts that explain how to do it. You can even go on YouTube and look up "Sheltie Ear Gluing" and there are a couple decent videos. Should you decide to go through with it...I will pre-warn you, it's VERY hard work, and takes A LOT of dedication. I used to think "Oh, you glue an ear over...shouldn't' be too hard" haha, how wrong was I!?!! Try VERY WRONG!! But if you keep up with it and don't give up(which I'm sure many agree with me when I say it goes through your mind more then once to give up) it pays off big time in the end(Of course it depends on the pedigree as well...) Even though she did nothing wrong...poor Barb tried and tried and ended up with hound ears anyways ...I'm pretty sure that is why they are hound...correct me if I am wrong, Barb! But yes, just look up "Ear Tipping" in the thread search and you'll find more then enough posts! Good luck!
well i use the japanese tape it works awesome u can look at my pics and see my dogs ears. idk how old your pup is but u need to do it early. once they are near a year its very hard.
some methods are easier then others but trust me by the second time doing them you are ready to curse and cry...once you pass that its easy its just getting past that point everyone goes though it when they start out
and yes ear type are dependant on pedigree lines...some are too thin, too thick or just unruley,and if your lucky enough some are natural (im still waiting for that line)
PS its Japanese Tape if your looking to google it.
Yes...something I did forget to mention. It does help the younger off your pup is. I started at 8 weeks, and went up until a couple weeks ago(7 months old) and his ears are tipped beautifully. I may glue them down once more for about a month or so for good measure. You can never be too safe! Them ears can be nastily uncooperative! LOL
Altho, if your pup is about a year...you could still try. You may get lucky and it may work for you. I have heard of people starting at about a year old and have it work out! It never hurts to try!
it pays off big time in the end(Of course it depends on the pedigree as well...) Even though she did nothing wrong...poor Barb tried and tried and ended up with hound ears anyways ...I'm pretty sure that is why they are hound...correct me if I am wrong, Barb! But yes, just look up "Ear Tipping" in the thread search and you'll find more then enough posts! Good luck!
Sigh, yes, Bacca was genetically predisposed to hound ears. It runs in the family. I just didn't know it and by the time I figured out what was wrong it was too late.
Bacca's ears are quite thin. But I followed all the general instructions for gluing and kept at it. Had I been more experienced, I would have seen that it wasn't working as planned, and I should have contacted my breeder for advice to find out how to counteract it.
I kept thinking about trying again but at 11 months I decided just to let it go.
It doesn't really matter, because he's not for show. Instead, he has a lovely, woe-is-me look to him (it inspires sympathy all around!):sadsmile:
Then there is Indy with his slightly tipped ears and as a tri, has the tan eyebrows and dark eyes! He just looks evil and full of mischief most of the time!
Hello Guest,
Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.