Oldest Sheltie?

Cindy

Premium Member
I know I am second overtime (Or 13th inning if you prefer) with Gavin at almost 17. But I figured I would have lost him by now. I am by no means complaining (I treasure every day with him), but with his special needs I am not able to leave him, and the indefinite nature of this has it challenges. I also fear he would stop eating if I left since he requires significant encouragement as it is.

So anyone know of a sheltie to make it past 17? I know of plenty that make it to 16, but none much further. I know his sire made it to at least 16.
 
Miss April my first Sheltie made it to 17 but had health issues. She was almost blind, her teeth needed cleaned and she no longer was a candidate for any anesthesia.
I put plastic down with carpet on top on the floor and put 2 sofas together to make a corral, so she had a safe place to sleep. When I was home she was with me. It was a hard year (but worth every minute) but I could tell she wasn't ready to leave me yet. She had a jest for life and wanted to go and do her thing, just slowly. She didn't have mobility issues besides arthritis which she had meds for that but we were at the vet monthly towards the end as she slowed down.
 
19....wow.....
I'd say 95% of my hardwood.stone flooring is covered with throw rugs or yoga mats.
and boy does Gavin love his dog beds. he manages to hop into them (bolstered snuggle beds) pretty well, which is a good sign.
time for his stroller walk!
 
Gavin is amazing. he will get twisted up and fall on his bum and look at me with a huge grin on his face!
I'm a planner...and this is uncharted territory for me. I can't wait until it gets colder and I can get more snuggles :)

All lives serve a purpose, no matter how long or short. Part of Gavins's purpose in your life is to teach you that not everything can or should be planned, and that's okay
 
Back
Top