Ouch, will he let me trim nails again

Another home remedy for a bleeding nail is to take a bar of soap and get it very wet, then jam the nail into the soft soap. Makes a nice plug, works very well, and probably helps with the pain more than cautery.
 
Thanks for the additional home remedies. Will have to have those close at hand, just in case.

I have a dremel but Harbour was terrified of the sound that I haven't even thought to try and use it on Koffoy's nails. I am not sure how Koffoy would react to the noise, as he hates the sweeper and hair dryer.

Out of curiosity, I got the clippers out today and he didn't run. I laid them on the floor and had a couple of treats hidden in my hand. He gave me the look as to say no way momma, but after a few minutes of me sitting quietly, not touching the clippers, he came up to the clippers and sniffed them. I gave him a treat, which he loved. A few minutes later he sniffed them again and was rewarded. Then I put them away. He didn't seem to stressed. :fl So I'll go back to basics and take it little steps at a time. Still doing little steps with brushing. He doesn't like being brushed, or anything that causes him to have to stay still for more that a minute. Although he doesn't seem to mind having his teeth brushed.

Thanks again
 
I also support the dremmel. I use it too.

Getting your dog used to the dremmel. Its a multi step process. You don't just sit the dog down and go at it.

When I first started, I had Bacca next to me and just let him sniff the dremmel. Then I put it behind my back and turned it on. Waited for him to settle, then treat and reward. Then I brought it out and turned it oand n. when it settled treat and reward. Then I touched his feet with it off and then turned on....treat and reward.

Touch a a nail with it turned on....treat and reward....You can see the progression. It only took about one week for Bacca to settle with the dremmel. No, he doesn't like it, but he puts up with it.
 
Back
Top