Painkillers for dogs

Caro

Moderator
Does anyone know what human pain-killers dogs can use and the dosage?

I can't use Tramadol as its not available over the counter and my vet has to order it in so it would take a week to get it. I have anti-inflamms but I think they need just a standard pain killer. I'm expecting both dogs to pull up really sore for the rest of the week so just want something to get them through the next few days.
 
My vet OKed a baby aspirin for Lexi for before agility class. One baby aspirin is 81mg. Lexi is 23 pounds. You might want to give it with food. Aspirin can upset the stomach.
 
Thanks, I will definately try it. Lexi sounds about the same weight as Deska, maybe half the dose for Tully. I guess its better to start on the cautious side.
 
I've also been told that using one baby aspirin is OK. I wouldn't do it long term though, as Emmasmom said it can cause stomach problems.
 
They did lots of flyball racing this weekend. Deska is going to have sore elbows but I don't want to use the anti-inflamm for the rest of the week as it makes him sick if I use it more than one day in a row. Thought a painkiller would be a better option. Tully hurt her back again but I got her into the physio on Wed so hopefully her injury will settle down.
 
They did lots of flyball racing this weekend. Deska is going to have sore elbows but I don't want to use the anti-inflamm for the rest of the week as it makes him sick if I use it more than one day in a row. Thought a painkiller would be a better option. Tully hurt her back again but I got her into the physio on Wed so hopefully her injury will settle down.

Aspirin is an NSAID same as most anti-inflam already use in dogs. Not sure you will get any better or different results with it . The side effects of aspirin is stomach ulcers. SO if Deska gets sick on the anti inflamm,he is likely to get sick on aspirin. There is no other over the counter med recommended for dogs however.
 
Back
Top