Painting a Metal Dog Crate

MissSuzie

Forums Enthusiast
I bought Cooper's crate used and it has some rust spots on it. I was wondering if anyone has ever cleaned rust spots up and repainted a metal crate.

There is no indication that he has chewed on the crate, but I was concerned that painting it could possibly be harmful to him.

If you have painted one, what kind of paint did you use. My dad recommended Rustoleum.
 
I bought Cooper's crate used and it has some rust spots on it. I was wondering if anyone has ever cleaned rust spots up and repainted a metal crate.

There is no indication that he has chewed on the crate, but I was concerned that painting it could possibly be harmful to him.

If you have painted one, what kind of paint did you use. My dad recommended Rustoleum.

the big crate that Jasper is using now,was a crate givin to us.And it had some rusting on it.So Brian just took some steel wool,and gave it a once over,then coated with black rustoleum.

worked real well.Looks like a brand new crate~
 
the big crate that Jasper is using now,was a crate givin to us.And it had some rusting on it.So Brian just took some steel wool,and gave it a once over,then coated with black rustoleum.

worked real well.Looks like a brand new crate~

That's what I wanted to hear! Thank you. Did he use just the normal black rustoleum?
 
You might want to look into getting them powdercoated. Most cities have places that do smaller projects. Much tougher than paint. It's what they use on racks at department stores.
 
You might want to look into getting them powdercoated. Most cities have places that do smaller projects. Much tougher than paint. It's what they use on racks at department stores.

I would not see a need to have that done.I don't use Jaspers crate only at night.But I guess it would depend on how much one would use the crate.

Ours was really nice once Brian got done with it,you would never know it was a used crate.
 
You might want to look into getting them powdercoated. Most cities have places that do smaller projects. Much tougher than paint. It's what they use on racks at department stores.

I don't think that would work with most dog crates, or at least with the collapsible ones. They would have to be taken completely apart, which isn't possible without breaking them. Otherwise the new powder coating would make everything rigid and it wouldn't fold down anymore.

However, we recently sold a non-collapsible dog crate that power coating would have worked on. It came completely apart so each individual part could have been done.
 
Since Rustoleum is made with fish oil, it should be OK.

I might have to try that. I bought Ginny's crate used and it has a few rust spots on it. I'd planned on painting it but never got around to it, mainly because I was afraid of poisoning and didn't know what to use.

Ginny doesn't tend to chew on her crate anyway, but I wanted to be sure.
 
Cooper doesn't chew on his either, at least I've never seen him do it and there are no signs that he does. I just don't like the rust spots and I have to have it in my dining room, so I'd like it to look nice. Wish I could afford a sparkly new one for my boy, or better yet, a wood one like I bought for Meggie, but that was a different job/salary. No more frills for us!

I've got some ideas to jazz it up. I'll let you know how they turn out.
 
Back
Top