Pip's Ears

Aearoniel

Forums Regular
Hello everyone,

I've read most of the tipping threads but until it happens it's quite difficult to figure it all out!

Pip's ears have changed a bit since he arrived... or rather one of them has! His right ear seems to be higher than the left (sorry the image is out of focus he moved!)

now do I need to do anything with this yet or as it is still tipped wait?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0350.jpg
    IMG_0350.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0349.jpg
    IMG_0349.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 46
I am really not qualified to answer your question, just wanted to say that is one cute pup!

cliff
 
I would agree that if you want the tip, go ahead and glue or tape. You can never be sure how they will change over the months if you leave them free, but gluing and taping gives you a better chance of getting them to tip.
 
For sure, if you want tipped ears, NOW is the time....but just know that you have to keep at it for about until pup is 1 year old.

I personally prefer it and recommend it, but it is a personal choice.
 
Since I posted this I've been to see lots of breeders and Pip's breeder and have a course of action. Gluing and bracing isn't something that is done a lot over here they called it the "American Ear Tip" :lol: and I think it's seen as a last resort. Also seeing as I can get help with gluing so I get it right we are using the Kaolin Poultice method, more adjusting to do to get the right amount on to prevent heavy ears or prick ears but very much easier to apply and remove if I get it wrong!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8isyVFDVBkE
 
Well, this is new! And an interesting alternative.

It reminds me of when I was growing up and we had our first Sheltie, and we used chewing gum to "weigh" down Callie's ears. Similar concept, it seems, and much easier then glueing.

That being said it does not address bracing between the ears, which is equally as important. You want the ears tipped, yet alert. You only get alert if they are trained to stand.

Some dogs, like my Bacca, have every thin ear cartilege and so yes his ears are tipped but they also tend to flop to the side.....hound dog ears. These ears need to be braced either with glue or tape.
 
It is working really well, I like the fact I can adjust them regularly with minimal fuss.

In the UK very little if any bracing goes on that I've seen, unless it's all happening in secret. He's not going to be shown but I'd like to avoid pricked ears if possible :smile2:
 
Back
Top