Proofing Sit Stays At Start Line

...You know what I am currently working on... getting him to actually SIT down faster at the start line in class, he is just too excited and it's sometimes a little challenge to not touch his butt LOL
Do you guys all have a SIT at the start line?

I have different commands depending on which side I want Phebe to be. On my left is 'line up', and on my right is 'by me'. My instructors really discourage us from crossing the dog's line when we lead out, so this keeps me from having to walk behind my dog.

We use a sit most of the time, unless the first obstacle is a tunnel. For a tunnel, we use a down. I don't trust her to stay in a stand, yet. Maybe some day.
 
Do you guys all have a SIT at the start line?

Mostly, yes.

Occasionally with Bentley I will do a stand-stay, or even better, a running start.

I would never do a down-stay with him, because he is not as comfortable in a down.

With Lexi, either would work, but I want to keep being consistent for awhile.
 
Thoughts....

I was just thinking about Koji breaking his start line stay. Do you think it's because I've changed my routine?

I used to stand in front of him, get him to sit, then move to the side, remove his lead, then lead out.

Now, I stand next to him, push his butt into a sit, remove lead, lead out, break stay, I run for my life. :rolleyes2: Yes, I know I'm reinforcing it and that's one thing I'm going to stop doing. It'd be better to do it at NADAC where I can train.

Do you think by me not asking him to sit, he's not really "staying" anymore either? Hmmm......
 
Thoughts....

I was just thinking about Koji breaking his start line stay. Do you think it's because I've changed my routine?

I used to stand in front of him, get him to sit, then move to the side, remove his lead, then lead out.

Now, I stand next to him, push his butt into a sit, remove lead, lead out, break stay, I run for my life. :rolleyes2: Yes, I know I'm reinforcing it and that's one thing I'm going to stop doing. It'd be better to do it at NADAC where I can train.

Do you think by me not asking him to sit, he's not really "staying" anymore either? Hmmm......

Yes, dogs don't generalize that well, even our brilliant Shelties... SO if you haven't built the same high value for your 'new' routine sit stays I bet that makes a difference to Koji... I would try it out!
 
Yes, dogs don't generalize that well, even our brilliant Shelties... SO if you haven't built the same high value for your 'new' routine sit stays I bet that makes a difference to Koji... I would try it out!

Wait, so my dog isn't smart? Sheesh, who woulda thought. LOL. Maybe at the next trial, I'll go back to my old way and see what happens.
 
That is so NOT what I said :razz: HE is brilliant :winkgrin: hahaahahah

OH......so HE'S brilliant. I'm the dummy? LOL.

I think I'll work on both. Honestly, sometimes it takes him a long time to sit and it's faster to just force sit and tell him to stay. Also, it's easier for me to line him up better when I'm facing forward.

For anyone here.....do you think it's better to give a command prior to running the course? What I mean is, is it better or worse, to make Koji "work" before I put him in a stay? Do you think it matters?

Hmmm......just wondering. I see so many people do running starts w/o a stay, I'm just curious which is any better....if there is a better way.
 
Hmmm......just wondering. I see so many people do running starts w/o a stay, I'm just curious which is any better....if there is a better way.

I think it totally depends on the dog, and the course.

I have a friend who runs a cocker spaniel. He's a great dog (has his ADCH), but he becomes demotivated and slow very easily. She ALWAYS does a running start, regardless of the course. It gets his energy up early, and works well.

Bentley is very similar. But, with my handling skills, I can't always do a running start. I do it when I can, because it makes Bentley faster from the beginning, but if I can't, it's a sit stay.

With Lexi, it will ALWAYS be a stay (well, 99% of the time). She is so fast, that I need that time to get in position.
 
Back
Top