Puppy in Maine appeared on Rescue Me

That’s just so sad! I’d do anything to keep my dogs including doggy daycare if it was necessary….

Our first two dogs came out of rescue from situations where people couldn't/weren't able to manage dogs. Of the two I think the person who let the puppy go when they realized a puppy and a baby were beyond their care was the more caring to the dog. Our second came at 2 and it was clear nobody had ever had time for her. The challenges we had with her were so much greater than with our first rescue do to the time someone had tried to keep on keeping on with her. I've always said as blessed as I've felt having Katy, she just turned 14, for these 12 years, for her sake I wish her owner had the sense to recognize he/she wasn't cut out for dog ownership when she was a puppy because her life would have had a much easier road being raised with a family who wanted her those first 2 years.

I fully support doggy daycare. We had an amazing daycare when we got Bailey as a puppy and I was still teaching. We couldn't have managed without it. I suspect what ever life situation has hit this family doggy daycare is likely not a solution and a family who can love and support this dog is a much better option for the dog than trying to keep on keeping on until the dog is older and harder to place.
 
Our first two dogs came out of rescue from situations where people couldn't/weren't able to manage dogs. Of the two I think the person who let the puppy go when they realized a puppy and a baby were beyond their care was the more caring to the dog. Our second came at 2 and it was clear nobody had ever had time for her. The challenges we had with her were so much greater than with our first rescue do to the time someone had tried to keep on keeping on with her. I've always said as blessed as I've felt having Katy, she just turned 14, for these 12 years, for her sake I wish her owner had the sense to recognize he/she wasn't cut out for dog ownership when she was a puppy because her life would have had a much easier road being raised with a family who wanted her those first 2 years.

I fully support doggy daycare. We had an amazing daycare when we got Bailey as a puppy and I was still teaching. We couldn't have managed without it. I suspect what ever life situation has hit this family doggy daycare is likely not a solution and a family who can love and support this dog is a much better option for the dog than trying to keep on keeping on until the dog is older and harder to place.
I get it…but some of us are wired differently I guess. I just feel bad for the dog.
 
I get it…but some of us are wired differently I guess. I just feel bad for the dog.
I'd love to believe dogs go to great homes and are loved and if there are issues with a little help everything works out. A neighbor told us about a great doggy daycare when we looked into adopting Bailey and it made our lives incredibly easier and the adoption so much more workable. I'm not sure we'd have been able to work with a puppy at that point without daycare so giving people who are able to handle work arounds suggestions for making it work are wonderful and can make all the difference between a successful move forward or an adoption fail. This can include finding the right trainer in an area, etc. Someone else told us about the best local fencing company. All of it was helpful and made getting a dog easier. I'm grateful for the suggestions that we used and even for the stuff that was not for us.

Sometimes people make bad decisions when it comes to getting a dog. I think there has been much better education and screening by rescue agencies and by ethical breeders to try and help people understand the challenges of dog ownership, especially puppies, but sometimes people don't understand, life changes, or what was workable no longer is for a variety of reasons.

I hear people all the time say I'd never give up my dogs. That is a great ideal except what if keeping your dogs is harming the dogs? I don't think we talk enough about that. I have read so many posts with people claiming they'd live in their cars with their dogs. My oldest might survive that life at 14. She's a tough old dog. The youngest at 8 would have such anxiety that it would cause her stress and eventually health issues that I couldn't watch her have when I could find her a safe place where she would miss us yes, but she wouldn't die from the stress of living out of a car. I would be devastated to have to surrender any dog, but I can't imagine them suffering because I put my need for them over their health and welfare either. Sometimes the best solution is getting help to find a safe home for your dog and the younger you do that the better chance the dog has of finding a home.

I look to my oldest, nobody spent time with here for 2 years and they didn't want to surrender her because you aren't supposed to give up your dogs. The sentiment is popular but the effects were not so great for Katy. I'd much rather see someone be honest as Bailey's owner was when he was a puppy and said they couldn't raise a puppy and surrendered him to rescue. We got the benefit of a house broken puppy as his foster Mom took care of all the challenging stuff like having him neutered and house breaking him before he ever came to us.

I believe the goal is to educate people about what it takes to own a dog. However, when people fail I think we need to put the needs of the dog first. What is best for the dog? Can this person come around and make a good home for the dog or is it best that the dog find a family that will be thrilled with a Sheltie puppy?
 
Strange thought occurred to me this morning. Where is the breeder in this equation?

I have a contract with Annie's breeder even though she was a breeder placement at 2 years of age that she was to be returned to the breeder if we could no longer care for her at any point. She did not want her going into rescue. I don't know what a standard breeder contract is but I always thought they would take their own puppies back if not their older dogs. We had the same agreement with Sheltie rescue regarding our first two rescues. The contract is still valid for the oldest as Bailey has since passed away.
 
Not to be snarky, but judging from that puppy's face with its huge ears, this might be a backyard breeder rather than someone reputable who would actually care about providing that kind of support.

Not snarky at all, Sharon. I know a lot of breeders and belong to numerous breeders' lists and I don't know a single one that doesn't include in their contract the stipulation that any dog who for any reason cannot be kept will be returned to the breeder. And every breeder I know takes them back when that occurs.

More likely, this poor thing is a puppy mill dog, bred somewhere for a pet store or the typical puppy mill "no references" sale. It's sad, but they are still around, and with the incredible demand there was for puppies during the pandemic, they did a booming business. Now we are seeing those dogs in shelters, their owners having discovered that they are living, breathing creatures who still need attention and care even though the owner is back to life, work, etc.

I agree with Bailey's mom about the importance of those first two years in setting temperament and confidence. It's a very vulnerable time in a young dog's life and undoing that damage or neglect is a tough road that takes patience and lots of time. and can't always be accomplished. I hope this little dog finds a loving forever home soon.
 
Back
Top