Puppy Weight

Edph1

Forums Novice
Hi everyone

New here haha. So my Sheltie pup, Harry, is nearly 8 months old. He's doing great, full of life. Vets seems happy with him, he was neutered 2 weeks and has recovered pretty well.

One thing has me kinda worried though, his weight. He's just under 5kg, I'm kinda worried he's under weight. I've felt his ribs and it all seems right. Am I worrying over nothing? He eats fine, not a lot but what it says on the Royal Canine bag.

Your thoughts would be really appreciated!!
 
My Spirit Joy is full grown, at two and a half years of age, and weighs just about 12 pounds. Some dogs are just built bigger than others. As long as the vet feels he is ok, I wouldn't worry about it.
 
Impossible to say - do you know his height (from the floor to his shoulder blades)? There's a big variation in Sheltie heights so there's no one weight that is a good weight. My female was about 3.5 kg at 8mths, my male about 9-10kg. As you can guess, there's a big height difference between the two.

The other thing to take into account is at this age he won't be his adult height or weight. When they finish growing up they start growing bulk and muscle. So at 8mths his weight should be lower than an adult of equivalent height.

Lighter is always better - research in labradors found slim puppies were much less likely to develop hip dysplasia.
 
welcome to you and Harry

As Caro writes so has the height a lot to say.

Minnie had her adult height of 42-43 cm when she was 7 mdr.og her weight 7 kg.
Now 2½ years old, she weighs exactly 11 kg.

if you feed Harry after the weight you suppose he will have when he is fully grown and he eats it so I do not think you need to worry.

Better to be a little too thin Sheltie - than too thick :yes:
 
Keep in mind that what it says you should feed on any food bag is way more than a Sheltie needs. They will tell you they're staving and need double what you're giving, but Shelties are prone to adding weight so you have to be keep an eye on that. For a puppy, I'd feed about 1/2 cup twice a day, reducing it to 1/3 cup around 6 months of age, and 1/4 cup twice daily in adulthood. That's for premium foods with no byproducts, wheat, corn or other fillers though, so check the ingredients on your food bag and make sure what you're giving him is best for him. I'm not familiar with your brand.
 
Keep in mind that what it says you should feed on any food bag is way more than a Sheltie needs. They will tell you they're staving and need double what you're giving, but Shelties are prone to adding weight so you have to be keep an eye on that. For a puppy, I'd feed about 1/2 cup twice a day, reducing it to 1/3 cup around 6 months of age, and 1/4 cup twice daily in adulthood. That's for premium foods with no byproducts, wheat, corn or other fillers though, so check the ingredients on your food bag and make sure what you're giving him is best for him. I'm not familiar with your brand.
This is exactly what I did with Cleo and what I am in the process of doing with Relic. Relic just hit 6 months on the 30th, so time to switch to 1/3 a cup now. This is a great method to follow and works wonderfully. If you feel they still seem too hungry as an adult you can always add a little green beans or pumpkin to their food to help fill them up without adding a ton of calories.
 
Thanks for the replies guys!
I'm not too worried anymore, just would rather be sure, you know?

He doesn't eat a whole pile tbh, I just put what's advised on the bag in his bowl, and he eats most of it. Mostly just picks at his food over the day. I had every intention of feeding him at regular times everyday but my job doesn't allow for me to consistent.
 
You might want to consider changing Foods unless there is a specific reason for the diet. I used to feed Royal Canin thinking I was doing something very good. After researching more about grains like corn and wheat along with other ingredients in the Royal Canin I found out I could do a lot better. My sheltie happily made the switch to Rayne Clinical Nutrition and a home cooked diet and I found that although the new foods are higher in calories they are also much more easily digested and in fact led to a little bit of weight loss. He is doing much better on the new foods and our vet says he looks great!

Edit to add we use the Growth and Sensitive GI formula of Rayne as my sheltie has a sensitive tummy. I plan to feed my next puppy the same food right from the beginning.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: Ann
Back
Top