Quandary on when to bring puppy home

I agree with everyone else, leave your puppy with the breeder until 12 weeks.

I brought my first pup home at 7 months and there was absolutely NO issue with him adapting to anything.
 
Sca was 10 weeks and is a bit over social :biggrin2: He thinks that everyone is his buddy be it dog or people (and he is mostly right). Good on you to be concerned but I think it is not that critical. I think a good caring home that give the pup attention and effort far eclipses everything else.
 
Sca was 10 weeks and is a bit over social :biggrin2: He thinks that everyone is his buddy be it dog or people (and he is mostly right). Good on you to be concerned but I think it is not that critical. I think a good caring home that give the pup attention and effort far eclipses everything else.

Deska was exactly the same - I brought him home at 10weeks and he was too well adjusted! Tully was exactly 8 weeks old when I brought her home and she could have done with a couple of more weeks with the litter - she was a bit overwhelmed, I think those extra weeks with her mum wouldhave made a big difference.

If you are happy with the breeder's environment don't see a problem. You are worried about the ambient noise and this lady has 12 dogs:eek2: Boy if they are shelties that noise level will prepare him for anything.
 
Just leave the baby where he is.

Puppies who are raised in a reasonable home environment, which it sounds like this is, should have no trouble going to their new homes a little later. If he were kept outdoors or in a pen 24 hours a day, that would be different.
 
If you like the way the breeder is raising the puppy, I would suggest just leaving him there until you are ready to bring him home. Ainsley was almost 5 months old when I got her and she had no adjustment problems whatsoever.
 
We picked up Ginny from the breeder when she was 9 weeks old. We had her for a week and then returned her to the breeder for 5 days while we took a short vacation. I worried a bit about confusion but it really didn't phase her at all. Puppies aren't always as fragile emotionally as we assume they are. Because they're puppies they soak up everything around them and adapt easily. :smile2:
 
Thanks for the comments all. It's reassuring that if we do leave him it's unlikely to really be a problem.

If you are happy with the breeder's environment don't see a problem. You are worried about the ambient noise and this lady has 12 dogs:eek2: Boy if they are shelties that noise level will prepare him for anything.

They actually make little noise. They're very well trained and seem to have fantastic temperaments.
 
Last edited:
I got Justice at 11 wks. He was my dog the second, he put his little paws in the door. :biggrin2: I lived in an apartment and he had no problem with the noises outside the door.

I had 2 noise sensitive dogs(a Lab and a rescued mix) and vowed never to have another. I purchased noise tapes of sound effects and a tape called puppy racket. I played it very softly so it could be barely heard when they ate. Each day if there was no worries with the sound I'd turn the volume up a notch until it reached normal listening level. If the puppy showed any sign of worry. I 'd turn it back down for a couple days and slowly increase again this time alittle slower. 3 shelties all raised this way and they show very little noise phobias/reaction. Of course they have, their moments like when the washer goes into the spin cycle. :wink2:
 
Back
Top