Question about rescue organizations...

I think blanket statements like no fence= no sheltie are silly. If you are sceening your adoptees properly you should be able to make adjustments.

When I first got Justice, I lived in an apartment. He went for 2 45-1hr walks a day, plus any potty walks he needed. He went to some sort of outing atleast 2 evening a week, shows 2 weekend out of the month when he was past 6 months and went to work with me more often then not. He had beds, treats and so many toys he didn't know what to do with them. All his medical needs were met plus some. I wasn't a good home because I didn't have a fenced yard and couldn't just turn him out in it. :confused2:

But of course, I couldn't adopt a rescue sheltie from my local rescue now either as I have an intact dog.:(
 
Have you checked with the ASSA? I know they have a list of sheltie rescues, and even if they don't have one near you, perhaps the sheltie club in your area can help you. I know my new club is planning on running a sheltie rescue by referral program.
 
The rescue I got Baxter from doesn't absolutely require a fence. It is prefered and they do question whether you have one. There are some dogs though that they will not adopt out unless there is a fence. If the dog spooks easily and they think it will run you must have a fence.

They do adopt out of state too, I am in Michigan the rescue is in Wisconsin. That was good for me because they are a three hour drive from here. The nearest sheltie rescue in Michigan is 6 hours or more from me. I went there to meet Baxter but could not take him home with me. They delivered him a few days later and did my home visit at the same time. I also had to furnish my vets name and phone number and two personal references.

I checked out several rescues and I found this one pretty reasonable on their requirements and she's good about working with you. My advice is to keep looking. The right rescue with the right dog will come along. Good luck!
 
question about rescue

Our rescue is out of state, we had to give them our vet information and they really wanted to do a home study, we suggested they talk to a rescue in our town that we had fostered cats for and ask them to do it. They ended up not asking them but we did send pictures of our back yard and fencing. they finally accepted us and we picked up Maddie at her foster home that was two hours closer to us than the rescue. A year later we adopted Louie and he was at the main rescue about six hours away and they made arrangements for transport to a location half way in between. After Maddie died they asked if we wanted to adopt another. It is workable. We send pictures and update them on how Louie is doing. Down the road we will probably adopt from them again. The puppy was fun but there is something about giving a home to one who has so tragically lost theirs, and they come trained too and ready for love!
char with Louie and Meggie
 
I wanted to thank everyone for their thoughts. We do have a privacy fence that is 6ft tall, that is surrounding a large enough yard that has a trampoline, swingset, storage shed with still extra space to spare! Taking a picture of the yard would not be a problem for me. There are several rescue groups in OKC... if need be, I can always supply them a list if they did truly need to have someone do a homestudy. Taking care of a deaf sheltie, I would hope, would give me maybe a slight edge up.

My husband and I will look more into what we want to do when I get up this weekend. It's something he want to decide on when we are together and not alone.

Thank you again!

Beth~
 
Hi Beth, I run a sheltierescue as does my friend. We both have strict rules regarding out of town (somewhere the pup would need to be flown to especially) The problem with out of state or town adoptions is that if the dog has any adjustment issues we do not want them to be taken to the pound. There are several sheltie rescues that will work with the original rescue in regards to taking in the dog that may need to be rehomed. I would definately call your local sheltie rescue and see if they work with other sheltie rescues in the states.
 
Hi Beth, I run a sheltierescue as does my friend. We both have strict rules regarding out of town (somewhere the pup would need to be flown to especially) The problem with out of state or town adoptions is that if the dog has any adjustment issues we do not want them to be taken to the pound. There are several sheltie rescues that will work with the original rescue in regards to taking in the dog that may need to be rehomed. I would definately call your local sheltie rescue and see if they work with other sheltie rescues in the states.

That's sound like a plan! I heard there was a sheltie rescue at one time in Oklahoma, but not sure if they are still in existence. I have check ASSA site a few times, and nothing ever seem to show up for Oklahoma. It's does make me scratch my head that even Janet with Okies doesn't even show up under ASSA for breeders for this state, and I know she show her shelties! I am getting anxious about getting back home this weekend to see what my husband and I may agree to do. We do still have a puppy that we have been keeping an eye out on that may be consider, but I do want to keep all my options available.

Thanks, again!
Beth~
 
Back
Top