Question About Vaccine Protocol

because vaccines given before 8 weeks of age ruin the natural immunity they have from their mothers...

Vaccines before 8 wks do not ruin the natural immunity from the mother. The natural immiunity of the mother neuteralizes the vaccines in most puppies and are just ineffective. Vaccines 2 weeks apart are doubly ineffective and maybe even harmful.

A basic overview of how vaccines work here. You can do more research by googling the quoted studies.

http://www.newvaccinationprotocols.com/Current Knowledge of Immunology 101.htm

For the record we give our vaccines at 7, 10, 13 and 16 weeks. We choose this schedule so that if puppies are going to homes at 8 WKS(a lot of performance homes want them at this age) the vaccine is done before the stress of the new home. The ones we are watching deciding on go home after 10 weeks so those puppies have 2 vaccines on board and the new owners don't have to stress the pup out in the new home with vaccines right away. It might not be what everyone does but it works for us and that is our logic.
 
I get the reasoning for not taking your pups to the places you mentioned but, I not sure about the agility park part. Wouldn't that fit into the higher risk category? If not, how would you rate a private dog park (relative to the agility farm) if the park is diligent about checking health documentation, etc.?

My friends with the agility field live I the middle of 30+ acres of farm and conservation land. It's open and windy and not frequently used like an agility building is. In my rented time slot, there have not been dogs there, except the owners dogs, for many hours. I walk litters of puppies up there (think follow the leader) starting at 6 weeks.
 
My friends with the agility field live I the middle of 30+ acres of farm and conservation land...

Thanks for the follow up. I'm following the logic now. This topic is giving me lots of food for thought. It helps to know why folks choose their various procedures, perhaps even more so than which procedures they choose.
 
I've often said the two things you should never get into diiscussions on the net about are nutrition and behavior. Perhaps I should add vaccinations. :cool:
People get very adamant that they hold the one truth about stuff where there are many 'right' ways.

Things we know, (or think we know)-
1) Like most vaccines, (Lyme, feline distemper, Feleuk, etc),you need two vaccinations about a month apart to create sufficient antibody levels. Think of it that the first causes the factories to be built, the second stimulates them to produce.

2) The problem with canine distemper is puppies get protection from the mother, which varies from nothing to up to 13 weeks. This protection also 'protects' against the vaccine working. So if you see a 6-8 week old puppy, a vulnerable age,you can't give two vaccinations a month apart and have the second after 13 weeks. You need a temporary until they are old enough to get the standard series. (Someone mentioned influenza - actully it ws measles vaccine which was used as the temporary.)

3) For parvo in particular, some individuals , especially rotties and dobes, do not develop sufficient antibody unless vaccinated later, perhaps at 16 weeks.

4) The less vaccinations the better, as long as they are sufficient to do the job. That last part is important.

Those are basically the rules, and different protocols can come out of that. One problem , for example, is that large pet stores, rather than vaccinating each individual at the ideal tiume, simply go through and vaccinate everyone every two weeks. Hence a puppy might have had vaccinations at 6,8,10, and 12 weeks, yet STILL, at least in theory, should receive another.

So as long as your veterinarian's protocols make sense in relation to these axioms, 'don't sweat the small stuff.' If they do not seem to make sense then by all means ask.

Incidentally - Dr. Shelli is welcome to correct me on any and all of this. She is the academic with more exposure to the latest info, and, like us all, I'm always learning.
 
Vaccines before 8 wks do not ruin the natural immunity from the mother. The natural immiunity of the mother neuteralizes the vaccines in most puppies and are just ineffective. Vaccines 2 weeks apart are doubly ineffective and maybe even harmful.

.
Yes thank you for correcting my statement, that was what I meant...perhaps replying when dealing with a really sick dog, working all weekend and no sleep I shouldnt try to type:yes:

I do first set at 8 weeks, just because mine dont leave till they are 10 weeks old..but I can see going to their new homes at 8 weeks the reasoning. I do mine 4 weeks apart also so its 8,12 and the last at 16 weeks and than rabies at 4.5 to 5 months.
 
I didn't mean to post about such a controversial topic. :biggrin2:

Thank you all for the responses. I really appreciate the information and hearing everyone's facts and opinions on this. :yes: It's helping me to make the best decision.
 
Back
Top