I just came from local sheltie rescue meet & greet.
There were 10+ shelties in one place. My daughter played with just about all of them for many hours, and she did not have allergy any break out. I think we are clear for a dog. That's a good news
There were 6-7 dogs available for adoption. And there were few more shelties already adopted and owned by other people.
members from the rescue organization were very friendly and helpful. I had a very good time. All dogs were pretty calm and didn't go crazy on barking frenzy. I assume that the dogs were probably nervous and didn't want to play.
Few dogs were shedding like crazy. Then again, there were few dogs that didn't lose hair even when I stroked their back. Two dogs just came to me and sat by my feet. They say "the dog will choose you".......
One thing I did notice. All the dogs that were pretty and better marked/proportioned, were already owned by and spoken for. Older dogs (like 10years old), obese dogs, not-so-pretty colored, neglected ones with behavioral issues... were mostly available for adoption. There was one we liked, but the dog didn't seem to be too interested in me.
Well. We'll have to go through the application process. I don't know how much of their true personality I can see in these meet&greet settings... I'll see.
Everything is still on the table as far as I'm concerned. Rescues, Puppies, Other breeds, or even postponding.