Raw food and white teeth

I used to give mine kangaroo tails and lamb necks but twice had to take Tully to the vet to get the bones removed from between her (back) teeth. It was so lucky both times it happened when I was home as I usually gave it to them just before leaving for work. So I learnt not to give them small bones with thin sticky out bits.
 
I will try again with the leg bones and knuckles and see how it goes. Sounds like that's what he's missing out on because he gets the chicken feet, backs and pig's ears. I'll remember to be more careful with bones with bits that stick out! Sounds abit dangerous!
 
I got hold of pork bones (the knuckle part with a short stub of the hard bone+marrow) and gave one to Romeo last night. He went for the knuckle this time around and worked at it for almost 2 hours non-stop! I heard scraping sounds and did a little cheer. He also used his paws to hold the bone done, which is a complete breakthrough because he would NEVER touch his food with his hands before!! I checked his teeth immediately before and after giving him the bone. His back teeth looked cleaner and the stain on his fangs was lighter (one fang was almost white, the other had a bit of stain still). Yay! Maybe I should give him one of these every other day? Or every 2 days?
I wanted to leave the bone for another day but he'd already chomp off most of the knuckle bit!
 
Wish I could give mine the bones to help them keep their teeth clean. Caleb does a horrible job on his when given bones though :/ He's actually chipped up a couple spots on his teeth on bones. I can't have that, considering we show conformation, so I've had to stop letting him have them.
 
Ouch! Have you tried the softer bones? Ribs are much easier to go through than leg bones. They aren't as dense or hard.

I think I may have figured it out. Romeo's teeth started to stain when I had run out of pigs ears!! I was reading Caro's post elsewhere about her venison ears and then it dawned on me. The knuckle bones have helped some but I shall try to get my hands on some pig ears today and see if dried pig ears are what keep the stains away!!
 
Back
Top