Raw venison question

Ania

Forums Enthusiast
This is a question for those of you who feed raw. I got some free venison this winter and am wondering if you take the fat off the ribs. There is soooooo much of it and it is hard, lard-like :dead:. I think there is more fat than meat! Do I cut most of it off, or leave it? Thanks! :smile2:
 
I have gotten several deer carcasses this season and have done different things with them. When I can get someone to cut them, I cut off a few ribs with the meat and fat on them and feed them with extra meat as their boney meal. Or I have taken most of hard fat off and cut the meat out between the ribs and fed with with other meat. Or I have taken the whole rib cage and throw it out for them to do with what they want! This last one that I got, I am going to grind the meat and fat and make a fatty ground meat to use with my DE or to wean puppies. I just hated throwing out all that fat and felt like I needed to find some way to use it! I try to avoid feeding a lot of just the fat by itself.
 
The guy I got the venison from, cut the rib cage up into pieces. So I can cut most of the hard fat out if I want. It just looks like so much fat and that is why I asked. Since Chinook is still a little overweight, I need to really watch how much he eats. I guess, I am so used to cutting all the fat off meat when I cook, that I figured I should do the same for the dogs.:confused2: This morning, I cut most of it off and left the meat on the bone and gave it to them. They left most of the rib not eaten (too hard or too big, I guess)..
 
For the most part I leave all the skin and fat on most of the meat (like chicken or pork, not the deer skin of course). But I do know what you mean about the hard, lard like fat on the ribs. As long as it is marbled nicely with meat, I feed it. If it is way more fat or fat only, I toss it. Unless I'm using it to grind with the leaner meat. Venison is a very lean meat so a little extra fat is good for them...except in the case that you are talking about. Besides...just the thought of eating that hard plain fat is just disgusting!!!

Only my younger puppies ever leave bones...maybe he was just full??
 
Back
Top