releasing undercoat?

SheltieChe

Forums Sage
Che lost whatever spare undercoat he has, but Leo is no go, I am trying to use furminator but it is tough job, he keeps retaining his super heavy coat... any tips?
 
I used the Furminator deshedding shampoo - it worked great.

Tip from the breeder: Wet thoroughly and shampoo. Line brush with the slicker brush when there is still shampoo on the dog. Rinse well and repeat with the conditioner. She is a groomer and uses this even for heavy-coated Chows. I haven't had to try this yet as the deshedding shampoo worked wonders.
 
How old is Leo?

Heres the thing, I dont care what shampoo, brush/comb tool you use, if its not ready to shed its not going to come off unless you shave it!! Same thing when shedding, you can use whatever brush/comb method youd like, sure some do a better job at removing it all, but if its ready to come out it will fly off!!!!
 
The only tool that will make it come out right now is a mars rake or one similar to it.... but you haed best know what you are doing to use it or you will wind up making the dog look bad. It will remove whatever coat it is taken over. It should never be used on the top coat of a sable for this reason. You will wind up with a dog who looks like a washed out sable or sable merle. It should be used only on the undercoat.
 
Leo is going to be 2 years old and he never had that shedding period so he carries ton of coat and undercoat. I have used / can't find the picture/ that tool that has wooden handle and row of flat metal hooks on the end, got it at IKC show for $30, it works some to remove undercoat/ I am careful getting with it to roots/ and make him breathe little better but I was wondering if there anything else to help. Because Che, who has no coat, annually loses whatever he has... I worry.
 
How old is Leo?

Heres the thing, I dont care what shampoo, brush/comb tool you use, if its not ready to shed its not going to come off unless you shave it!! Same thing when shedding, you can use whatever brush/comb method youd like, sure some do a better job at removing it all, but if its ready to come out it will fly off!!!!

yep totally agree. After Ember was spayed she didn't blow under coat for almost 3 yes. Nothing could make out come out.once it did loosen up it was like needle on a Christmas tree.
 
Buffy has a super thick undercoat as well. I took her to the groomer recently and I think they did a great job getting it out. And it saved me getting undercoat all over the room, so that's nice. I'm not 100% sure what they did but whatever it was, it worked. My guess is it's bath combined with intense line brushing. The thing is, it's starting to come back now.... she just likes her fluff. Let me know if you want a groomer rec. We have gone to a few in the area and some are better than others. I like the latest one.

I have heard that sometimes spay/neuter affects coat blowing. I haven't really had a dog that wasn't spayed so I can't say. But I think it's genetic as well. Abigail never had nearly as much undercoat as Buffy.
 
Last edited:
Best tip ever.....a high velocity blow dryer! (but beware of flying fur!)

We all know the experience, we brush and brush and brush again. Then we bring the dogs to the groomer for a bath, and a miracle occurs....no more Sheltie pants!

It's not because groomers are better brushers, its because they have the tools.

I brushed Indy out this weekend and had a pillow sized sack of hair that I took out.

Got the full meal-deal grooming today, and voila! no more pants! It's not that she brushed and brushed forever....dogs were bathed, dried and trimmed in 1.5 hours each.
 
Back
Top