Removing eyelash glue from ears?

Kayum6

Forums Regular
Last night, I tried to glue my pups ears and made a big mess on his head. I've read about using detachol and the other stuff, but I was wondering if anyone knows of an easy way to get rid of plain eyelash adhesive. I tried wetting it with a moist babywipe, and it helped some, but some of the bigger clumps won't budge. Should I just cut it out? Thanks!
 
You can try some plain baby oil. It will do the job, but will leave the fur greasy so a mini-bath might be needed! :winkgrin:
 
Been there, done that!

I too have made messes with the glueing and made the mistake of cutting it out. The problem with cutting out is that it's hard to reglue because you really want to glue hair to hair. So you want to trim as little away as possible before you reglue.

So, I have had to wait for Bacca's ear hair to grow out again. I just reglued this weekend. One ear went great, but I messed up the other one. Sigh!

I've used two products to remove the glue:

- Goof Off - which is a true adhesive remover. It does the trick quite well and shouldn't be irritating but Bacca was not happy about the smell. He really threw him into a frenzy
- Goo Gone - not as effective as Goof Off - a step up from baby oil though and with a little massaging gets most of it off.

Hope this helps!

Just know that I share your pain!
 
Been there, done that!

I too have made messes with the glueing and made the mistake of cutting it out. The problem with cutting out is that it's hard to reglue because you really want to glue hair to hair. So you want to trim as little away as possible before you reglue.

So, I have had to wait for Bacca's ear hair to grow out again. I just reglued this weekend. One ear went great, but I messed up the other one. Sigh!

I've used two products to remove the glue:

- Goof Off - which is a true adhesive remover. It does the trick quite well and shouldn't be irritating but Bacca was not happy about the smell. He really threw him into a frenzy
- Goo Gone - not as effective as Goof Off - a step up from baby oil though and with a little massaging gets most of it off.

Hope this helps!

Just know that I share your pain!

I personally would stay away from goof off, we used to use it at work and it has some pretty nasty fumes and I believe I read its toxic and not meant for skin. I did some research into Goo Gone and while the company doesn't officially recommend regular goo-gone for use on skin I've found it to be gentle and non-toxic. Goo Gone does have some sort of soap for skin but I couldn't find it anywhere. For Sadie Goo Gone worked quite well but she absolutely HATED the smell. It was a huge struggle with her so I had to find something else.

I ended up using bandage adhesive remover which I didn't feel nearly as comfortable with but I didn't think I had any alternatives. Even though its meant for skin the label had quite a few warnings about irritation and keeping away from eyes, plus its flammable! I decided to use it anyway since its meant for skin and I'd feel comfortable using it on myself. I just made sure I was extremely careful when handling it and cleaned the area
 
Avoid Goof Off!

Been there, done that!

I too have made messes with the glueing and made the mistake of cutting it out. The problem with cutting out is that it's hard to reglue because you really want to glue hair to hair. So you want to trim as little away as possible before you reglue.

So, I have had to wait for Bacca's ear hair to grow out again. I just reglued this weekend. One ear went great, but I messed up the other one. Sigh!

I've used two products to remove the glue:

- Goof Off - which is a true adhesive remover. It does the trick quite well and shouldn't be irritating but Bacca was not happy about the smell. He really threw him into a frenzy
- Goo Gone - not as effective as Goof Off - a step up from baby oil though and with a little massaging gets most of it off.

Hope this helps!

Just know that I share your pain!

I personally would stay away from goof off, we used to use it at work and it has some pretty nasty fumes, is toxic and linked to birth defects and not meant for skin. I did some research into Goo Gone and while the company doesn't officially recommend regular goo-gone for use on skin/fur I've found it to be gentle and non-toxic. I also read its used by vets to de oil birds. Goo Gone does have some sort of soap for skin but I couldn't find it in Canada. For Sadie Goo Gone worked quite well but she absolutely HATED the smell (It actually has a pleasant smell, its Orange scented). It was a huge struggle with her so I had to find something else.

I ended up using bandage adhesive remover which I didn't feel nearly as comfortable with but I didn't think I had any alternatives. Even though its meant for skin the label had quite a few warnings about irritation and keeping away from eyes, plus its flammable! I decided to use it anyway since its meant for skin and I'd still use it on myself if I had to. I just made sure I was extremely careful when handling it and cleaned her fur well afterward.

Here is an article I found on Goof Off:

http://www.goodyblog.com/playing_house/2007/06/toxic_shocker.html

Here is the one I read about Goo Gone, see #15:

http://googone.com/googone/faq.aspx
 
Hi

I just finished replying to another thread regarding gluing ears and removal (where I was recommending using Goo Gone for removal), and then moved to this one and saw the cautions. I'm going to see what I can do to find the Goo Gone soap they talk about.

btw - I won't be using Goof Off. It's just too harsh. And Bacca hated the smell.

OntarioSheltie - where did you find the bandage adhesive remover. I went out last weekend to a bunch of pharmacies and none of them carried it. Thx

But back to the original question from Kayum6....just occured to me that if there is eyelash glue, there must be eyelash glue remover???? I mean if I wore falsh eyelashes, wouldn't I need something to take them off with? And maybe work on the other glues that we've all used? e.g. Jiffy Sew, Speed Sew, etc. (Makes me wonder if eye makeup remover might even work....hmmmm!)
 
Hi

I just finished replying to another thread regarding gluing ears and removal (where I was recommending using Goo Gone for removal), and then moved to this one and saw the cautions. I'm going to see what I can do to find the Goo Gone soap they talk about.

btw - I won't be using Goof Off. It's just too harsh. And Bacca hated the smell.

OntarioSheltie - where did you find the bandage adhesive remover. I went out last weekend to a bunch of pharmacies and none of them carried it. Thx

But back to the original question from Kayum6....just occured to me that if there is eyelash glue, there must be eyelash glue remover???? I mean if I wore falsh eyelashes, wouldn't I need something to take them off with? And maybe work on the other glues that we've all used? e.g. Jiffy Sew, Speed Sew, etc. (Makes me wonder if eye makeup remover might even work....hmmmm!)

I bought it at a pharmacy. They keep it behind the shelf though so you have to ask for it. Just a warning, it has a strong smell also (and a few fumes) but it didn't bother Sadie nearly as much as the goo gone smell
 
But back to the original question from Kayum6....just occured to me that if there is eyelash glue, there must be eyelash glue remover???? I mean if I wore falsh eyelashes, wouldn't I need something to take them off with? And maybe work on the other glues that we've all used? e.g. Jiffy Sew, Speed Sew, etc. (Makes me wonder if eye makeup remover might even work....hmmmm!)

Hi! I originally had the eyelash glue because I used to wear fake eyelashes sometimes (lol), but the glue is really mild and comes off with the slightest pull on people. Eyelash glue is really tacky and balls up easily, and that's my problem with Fred's ears. I tried the baby oil and it softened the glue but it was originally really sticky that when I applied the oil, the glue spread back out over new fur lol. Most of it's grown/clipped out now.
 
Back
Top